Skip to main content
Topic: Plug-In (Read 5388 times) previous topic - next topic

Plug-In

I recently downloaded the plug-in that lets me upload my songs onto my website. Two songs are uploaded and work fine for me, but I was wondering if I sent the link to a person that doesn't have NWC if they wouldn't be able to view it.

Re: Plug-In

Reply #1
To view your music within a web page, the visitor must download and install the plug-in. But the visitor's operating system must be Windows, and the browser must NOT be Internet Explorer (possibly excepting a very old version of IE). That limits the number of potential visitors who can view your music via the plugin.

The alternative is for your visitor to use the free NWC viewer. Again, must be Windows operating system - but browser doesn't matter, since the file is played outside the browser. To use the viewer, you should provide a link to the viewer download page, and also a direct link to your *.nwc file.

One caution: Whether via browser or viewer, there can be a problem if your file server delivers the *.nwc file as an incorrect data type. This is not within your control unless you have server privileges, or unless someone with server privileges can do it for you. I advise you to include an additional link, with your *.nwc file placed in a zip archive (*.zip). The zipped file will almost always be delivered correctly, so the visitor can un-zip it, then open the *.nwc file in the viewer.

Reply #2
As far as I know, at least some servers let you specify the file types in the following manner:

1. Create a text file with the name .htaccess

2. Add the following line to the file:

AddType application/x-nwc nwc

3. Put this file to the same directory on the server where your NWC files are.

Reply #3
The start of https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4367 might be from the same author as this post.

If you publish your *.nwc files as standard hyperlinks, then any user of NoteWorthy Composer or the free viewer will be able to view your files (in addition to plug-in users). You can cover more visitors by publishing PDF and MIDI versions of your work.

Reply #4
I am slightly confused about what exactly to name my text file as stated thusly:

1. Create a text file with the name .htaccess

would that be .htaccess.txt or would that be a text file whose name begins with a period and which has no extension?

A bit about how such a file works within the Unix or NT environment might also clear up some question about the ability of the user to do this locally when his ISP refuses to recognize file types for their customers.

I'd appreciate a reply to sksnedegar@cox.net

Sam

Reply #5
"If you publish your *.nwc files as standard hyperlinks, . ."

I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering how we go about accomplishing that task, and additionally what we are currently publishing our .nwc files as ??? My recollection is that if "publishing" means the same thing as "uploading," then my WS_FTP publishes my files as binary. I don't think I know how to publish as a "standard hyperlink."

Reply #6
Publishing any type of file to the web depends on your service provider. These days, most web authoring tools include publish capabilities. Most seem to build on top of FTP, while others (FrontPage comes to mind) build in their own publishing scheme that is integrated into the authoring client and authoring extensions on the server.

The .htaccess file is only used for Apache web server. Apache uses the .htaccess file on both Windows and *nix systems. See http://httpd.apache.org/ for details.

Reply #7
The file .htaccess is just that - not .htaccess.txt or anything; sort of that the file name is empty and the extension is htaccess.

Whether this works does not depend on the OS of the person who attempts to view NWC files, but instead on the system of the server where these files are in the Internet.

Apparently what NWC Online means by "publishing as hyperlinks", is putting the files on the server, and then appropriate hyperlinks in an HTML document.

An (imaginary) example:
My web site is at address www.whateverisp.com/mypage, and I want people to listen to an NWC piece named SONG.NWC.

So first I'll FTP to my homepage. Then I'll upload SONG.NWC, the .htaccess file (with aforementioned contents), and index.htm containing this:

<html>
<head><title>My Song</title></head>
<body><p><a href="SONG.NWC">Listen to my song</a></body>
</html>

Reply #8
Correct. If you link to your *.nwc files using anchor tags (as in the above example), then your visitors have the freedom to either use the plug-in or a helper application to view the files.

A working example of a standard hyperlink to an NWC document is below:

- hyperlink to Marriage of Figaro

Reply #9
If your web server uses Apache, you can use our sample .htaccess file to get you started.

Note: If you are using Microsoft FrontPage extensions, be careful when modifying an existing .htaccess file on the server.

Reply #10
Quick further note. You will not be able to upload the .htaccess file through FrontPage. If I remember correctly, it will delete the ".". Instead, upload the htaccess file via FTP to the correct directory.