Skip to main content
Topic: clicking sound when changing time signatures (Read 2609 times) previous topic - next topic

clicking sound when changing time signatures

Have you ever composed a song that required changing the time signature from, let'say, 4/4  to 3/4?
I'm getting a clicking sound during the transition.
Does anyone have a fix for this?

Re: clicking sound when changing time signatures

Reply #1
I put a time change in the middle of a completed chart, and I also tried a new chart with alternating 4/4 and 3/4 measures.

Can't seem to make it occur.

Try turning off allow layering, then look to see if you've entered something strange on one of the staffs at the point where it clicks.

Reply #2
I cannot find "Layering" in any of the Menu options.
what version are you using?
I can send you the nwc file,then you can see and hear for yourself.

Reply #3
I'm running version 2 but layering is also in version 1.7something.

Layering is a "staff property."  Assume you want to print some stem up notes and some stem down notes on the same staff.  You can do it to a certain extent by using chords, but that can be cumbersome.  A simpler way often is just to use 2 staffs, and then have one overlay the other.

To do this, move your cursor to the top staff, then press F2 and set the properties of the staff to "layer with next staff."

Then the next step is to toggle the allow layering option off.  If it's active, the popdown View menu will show a check mark beside "allow layering."  Simply click it to turn it on or off.

I thought perhaps you had used layering, but it appears you weren't aware of it, so I'm wrong.

I don't know how much help I can be, but sure, send me a copy of the file and I'll see if I hear the click. Let me know what measure it's in, please.

I'm at

davidpalmquist@dccnet.com

Reply #4
I found the problem.
The piece has 11 staves.
the eleventh staff is the one with the problem at the time sig. transition.
I looked at the staff Properties,
and I noticed that staff number one is not labeled by the program as staff-1, but "staff", and midi channel 1.
Staff number 2 is labeled by the programas staff-1.
Bringing up the staff properties of the last staff, staff number 11, I noticed that it was midi channel 10.
I changed it to midi channel 11, and the clicking stopped.
By the way, the notes in the 2  measures in question were not playing.  They are now, instead of the click.

Thanks for your help.

Reply #5
Glad you were able to find the problem,Paul.

I assume you are aware that midi channel 10 is normally used for drum sounds? I don't know if you get a template with preset midi channels on each staff when you open a new file.  I notate a lot of jazz scores, so I made my own template set to the normal configuration.

It sometimes helps to isolate a problem by playing back just one staff at a time - use shift-F5.

Sorry if I'm trying to teach an old dog new tricks, but if you didn't know these things, they might come in handy someday.