Skip to main content
Topic: Playing a NoteWorthy song directily to a MIDI device (Read 2081 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing a NoteWorthy song directily to a MIDI device

I don't have a MIDI device at this time.  I would like to know if I had a MIDI device connected to my, such as a music keyboard, will NoteWorthy play directly to that MIDI device?  Also, will the Instrument selected in the song be played through the MIDI device?

Re: Playing a NoteWorthy song directily to a MIDI device

Reply #1
Whether you can play directly from NWC to the MIDI device, without first saving a MIDI file, I don't know (may depend on your setup?).

But for sure: Whether the MIDI device honors instruments is very much dependent on the device itself. For example, my low-cost keyboard will not honor instrument instructions from MIDI (it won't honor velocities, either). If I want it to play like a trumpet, I have to manually select the trumpet sound on the keyboard switches. On the other hand, higher-end MIDI devices will honor the additional instructions. Moral: What does the keyboard manual say, for the keybaord you intend to buy? If in doubt, have it demostrated first.

Re: Playing a NoteWorthy song directily to a MIDI device

Reply #2
Yes, if it appears as a seperate device you can play directly to it in two ways. You can select that midi device as the default for midi playback in the Windows Control Panel or you can set it directly as a device by going in NWC's Tools menu > Options > MIDI and add it to devices to use in playback.  You can even select more than one midi device and then set which staff to play on which device on the staff properties menu.

I use my Yamaha P60 digital piano and the MIDI to USB cable to play my piano files all the time.  The manual for my instrument explains which patches within the MIDI signal will yield which instruments on my instrument.  Hope this helps :)