Skip to main content
Topic: Midi Import Wizar (Read 2084 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi Import Wizar

Whenever i transpose from MIDI to NWC sheet music, it uses hemidemisemi and demihemi quavers (64th and 32nd i think)and ties all through it.is there anyway of getting around this? is it sumthing to do with Note Resolution?

thx AW7

Re: Midi Import Wizar

Reply #1
The Note and Rest Resolution can have a big impact on the import results. You should try, when possible, to match the values to the source MIDI performance.

The results also depend heavily on the MIDI performance.

Reply #2
..."The results also depend heavily on the MIDI performance."

If the original MIDI was prepared by someone who used a music notation program (such as NWC), then there is a fair chance that the MIDI will import without many short-duration notes, unless they are really there. The only catch is that triplets will be imported differently.

Once in a while, someone deliberately displaces the music so that notes, which ordinarily would not straddle measure bars, are broken across the bars. This may be done for the annoyance of persons who import the MIDI. If you seek that the notation would be improved by adding or removing a short-duration rest at the beginning, then that's what happened. I have to say that I've never encountered this situation, myself, but others have said so.

However, if the MIDI was recorded from keyboard instruments (live performance), then the short duration notes are really there, because the performer was not on beat. There are some very good, professional performances for which the musician has graciously provided the MIDI, either for publicity or in a spirit of generosity. If you import this kind of MIDI, you will see short duration notes everywhere. You can, if you wish, control how notes are resolved when imported. But the result will be more mechanical than the original.

Reply #3
To keep the more natural, but rythmic notationally messy feel of a non-quantized MIDI performance, first import into NWC with the smallest note and rest values possible.  Then make all of these hidden staves.  Import the file again in a new NWC window, now selecting the note and rest values to the smallest value that will give clean-looking notation.  This may take a few tries until you are pleased with the results.  When you have what you are looking for, cut and paste each staff one-by-one from the clean-looking window into the first  NWC window with hidden, good-sounding, messy-looking staves.  Mute the staves you are pasting in.  Now you should have a clean-looking, natural-sounding NWC file.