Skip to main content
Topic: Rejected yet again (Read 6302 times) previous topic - next topic

Rejected yet again

I am using Compuserve to connect to the NWC pages and every time I click on the Newsgroup I get the message " Internet Explorer cannot open this helper application for new://news.internet-company.com/ntworthy.com
The protocol specified in this address is not valid.
Make sure the address is correct and try again."

This has been my lot for the last three months. What can be done to enable me to get through?

Re: Rejected yet again

Reply #2
Try adding news.internet-company manually
Old netscape ~3.0x (from browser window)
Window
Netscape News
File
Open news host
-Enter the URL above in the dialog window-
ok
double click news.internet-company.com in the news server window
Options
Show all newsgroups
find ntworthy.nwc put check in the box

Netscape Communicator--from the browser:
Communicator
Collabra Discussion Groups
File
New Discussion Group Server
enter news.internet-company.com in the dialog box
right click news.internet-company.com when it appears in the message center box
Subscibe to Discussion Groups
find and double click ntworthy.nwc

Explorer 4--from the browser:
Mail
Read News
Tools
Accounts
Add
News
follow directions: enter news.internet-company.com in the dialog box for NNTP(newsserver)
Close
Yes
find and double click ntworthy.com
When you want NWC newsgroup use normal news reading procedure.
On a guess y'all use MSN or AOL or Compuserve and the service blocks you from using rival dedicated information servers

Reply #3
Thanks Drake for your detailed help. Hope it helps the other guys.
I find that if I click on the button, NetScape navigator 3.0 does exactly as it should.
Perhaps Compuserve has a firewall for news?

Andrew

Reply #4
Exactly my thought.
Providing dedicated bulletin boards/chat rooms/newsgroups was exactly what Compuserve started up to do.
I suspect they hope their clients don't find other resources.
Just a year or so ago there remained companies with sweetheart deals with Compuserve who only provided support via compuserve. Required joining and paying for premium connection.

Reply #5
Thanks everyone but I dont think a conspiracy theory is much help especially as Compuserve denies the blocking tactics you allege. Is there someone using Compuserve who has solved the problem?

Reply #6
Are you using CIM 3.0? Are you connecting via a WinSock connection? Do you have a news reader installed on your system (in IE 4, this is Outlook Express/in IE 3 it is called Internet News, along with Internet Mail)? If the answer to all three of these is Yes, then you should be able to connect to our newsgroup without problems.

Reply #7
Thanks for some relevant comment. I am using Compuserve version 3.04 UK I am dialling in directly to the UK node and I would not know a WinSock if it hit me. I have no Internet Explorer reader on my machine since I am timesharing on the Compuserve system. Does this mean I cannot view your Newsgroup?

Reply #8
Your dialing properties (where you include the phone number that is dialed), there might be a "Use Winsock Connection" checkbox(or something of a similar name). If you are connecting this way, you should get an additional program started when you connect, called the CompuServe Dialer. You must be using this CompuServe Dialer before you have any chance at connecting to our newsgroup (or any other NNTP newsgroup, for that matter). In addition, you must have a newsreader installed. One is included with the full suite versions of Internet Explorer and Netscpe Navigator. There are also other newsreaders available, but I am not an expert on these (others may have some recommendations in this area).

Bottom Line: When using CompuServe or AOL, you need to be browsing the web from an outside application (Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, etc), not the browser integrated in WinCIM and the AOL program. In the case of CompuServe, this means that you must be using the CompuServe Dialer.

Reply #9
Many thanks for the advice. I will try it out.