Skip to main content
Topic: Font problem when pasting into Word (Read 3484 times) previous topic - next topic

Font problem when pasting into Word

For several years now I've have a MSWord document booklet on the cuatro which I reconstructed form an old photocopy, redoing diagrams in truespace (I think) and pasting in staves created by Noteworthy.  Revisiting this document, I see that there are garbled characters in the notation.  Now I know that this usually means that the original font is missing.  But I have Bookmarks and the NWC fonts installed.

1. What can I do to repair this, short of checking for every other font on earth that I might have used other than Bookmarks. Is there any way I can know what fonts I might have used to create this insert.

2. What's the best suggestion for making this picture permanent. i.e. not to have an embedded font whose display is dependent on whether it's installed or not.

Re: Font problem when pasting into Word

Reply #1
Correction "I've had...."

Can this also happen when the insert was created by a previous version of Noteworthy?

Reply #2
I think the problem is probably because you don't have the proper font installed.
I've well understand that you have "the NWC fonts installed", but I wonder what you mean by fonts: normally NWC installs only one font, which is currently NWCV15.TTF .
But older versions (prior to 1.50 version of NWC) used another font, which was named NWCV13.TTF for 1.3* versions, for example (13672 bytes). Maybe it can be found on the site? I could send it to you, if needed.
I don't remember for 1.2* version, but I think 1.20 was the first version to use True Type Fonts.

HTH

Reply #3
If you used an older version of NWC, then an older font typeface is probably required. If you have a NWC CD (either the 1.70 CD or the 1.75 CD), you can find these in the setup folder, named nwcfonts.zip.

Reply #4
Before you can use this info, get the missing font. Then...

Regarding your second question, you can make a PDF document that embeds the fonts. Then, they won't have to be installed to read the PDF document. There are forum threads and user tips on the subject of PDF and Ghostscript.

You can embed fonts into an MS Word document (presumably, competitors of Word also have this feature). To use this: Creeate placeable WMFs for each page of your document, using Print Preview > Copy. One page at a time, place the WMFs into an MS Word document. Be sure that Word doesn't auto-scale the music to fit the page in a way that you don't like. (If it does that, you can scale it and crop it.) Finally, save the document with all fonts embedded.

To double-check your work, remove the obsolete font from your system, then verify that the Word document opens correctly.

If you transmit your document to someone else, they will need Word. Microsoft does offer a free "Word Reader" for those who don't have the program.

If you use PDF software instead, then you don't need to go through all of that. But setting up the software requires effort.

Reply #5
(To Marsu)
I used the plural loosely, probably because sometime in the past I'd  see two font with filename beginning NWC... in my fonts folder.  They may have been fonts from two different versions of NWC or one may have been a third party font done for NWC.

Thanks all for the suggestions.  I got answers to both questions.  I found one of the original NWC-notated bits of music, and discovered that it was indeed created by a previous version.  I'm not sure I can find all the original NWC notation to re-paste into my document so I *will* need that older font.

I think I can handle the PDF/Ghostscript thing: I think I did it once before in connection with something else.  I'll follow the .wmf instructions carefully and try that too.

Thanks again

mimarks - at - hotmail dot - you know what
(although my email address is by now already well-prostituted, wide-spread and spammed to death)