Skip to main content
Topic: Help for new user with entering from keyboard (Read 3766 times) previous topic - next topic

Help for new user with entering from keyboard

I'm very new to NWC.  Finally got my keyboard to work with the PC but here's my dumb question.
When I'm playing the keyboard and the notes are magically :) appearing on the page, is there ANY way to get them to be entered in the actual timing of the notes?  All I can figure out is if I've clicked on a note, let's say a whole note, they all come out as whole notes.  Is there a way to set it up so that it comes out right without editting every single note?  I give up after 3 days of trying to figure it out myself. :)  Told ya... new dumb user! ha ha

Re: Help for new user with entering from keyboard

Reply #1
Ah, that's real time recording.  I don't think Noteworthy does that.  Well, I use v.1.70 and it doesn't.  Encore Composer does it, but badly.  Plus I don't think the company exists anymore.  There's no support for that software anywhere.

Anyway, stick with Noteworthy.  Use your keyboard to write the chords and melody quickly, then change their value accordingly.  I don't do it anymore because my system crashes but I did it for a long time and you get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Reply #2
Simon - thanks.  Bummer, huh. :)  I'm a singer turning song writer.  The timing, notes, etc. are all in my head but my 8 years of music lessons happened... well, a LONG time ago... like 20+ years ago and I've "lost my touch".  Guess I'd better start learning again... 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and.  Ha ha!  Thanks for the reply.

Reply #3
Kathy I think you have been misinformed and it IS possible to do this in NWC (although I have not tried it lately as it is much quicker for me to use the computer keyboard to enter notes). Look up the 'Record Command' in Help. Basically you have to have a track already existing that plays while you record - I think there are rhythm tracks in templates for this purpose. Others who use this feature will be able to tell you more about it.

Reply #5
Hm. I never got it to work as described in the FAQ. The way I do it, is as follows:

I start with a fresh staff, that I give the expected time signature and a treble clef, and fill it with quarter or eigth notes (any will do, I usually use the central C) for a bit over the expected duration of the recording.
Now when you place the cursor at the beginning of the staff, and hit the record button, it will start playing back the notes (nice metronome!) and after the recording is finished, a second window opens with the recorded staff in the resolution selected in the 'record' tab. This staff can be copied anywhere. If you don't like the metronome, mute the metronome staff.....
Hope this helps.

Reply #6
It's hard for your note and rest durations to be perfect.  One way to alleviate that is to set your tempo very slow, then enter the notes at a quarter or an eighth of the speed you would normally play them at.

Reply #7
One way to smooth out the small human imperfections in anyone's live playing is to set NoteWorthy's quantizing options to the shortest rhythmic value contained in the melody you are recording.  Go to Options, Record, set Note Value and Rest Value to one note duration longer than the shortest note anticipated.  Some experimentation should produce the optimum settings for the particular piece you are recording.  Just also be sure you are using a HARDWARE synth module or soundcard or a software synth using the latest version of Microsoft's DirectX drivers installed.  Version 8 was the latest version I'm aware of.  You must run Win 98 or higher to use DirectX 8.  This gives me real-time playback (no latency delay) with my Yamaha softsynth.  Good luck!