Skip to main content
Topic: Midi in? (Read 2361 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi in?

On my keyboard, I have a slot called "midi in". What exactly does this do? Can I make midis go from the computer into my keyboard? I'm not quite sure what is is for, so any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Midi in?

Reply #1
"MIDI In" on your keyboard accepts a midi stream from an external source (such as your computer) to "play" the keyboard. (You could use this to play a midi sequence on the computer via the keyboard.) "MIDI Out" goes the other way, sending a stream of MIDI commands from the keyboard to an external device (this is what you'd use for real-time or step recording into NWC).

To use either of these, you need a MIDI cable. Traditionally, these plugged into the joystick connector on the computer's sound card, but some of the newer computers no longer have this facility.

Re: Midi in?

Reply #2
..."some of the newer computers no longer have this facility"

Indeed, some of the older ones (such as laptops not designed for game-playing) didn't have the facility either.

BUT you can buy hardware that will allow your computer to communicate with MIDI by adapting a different port. Not cheap. System-dependent. But exists.