Skip to main content
Topic: JUST QUESTIONS????NEED HELP BAD!!!!!! (Read 6938 times) previous topic - next topic

JUST QUESTIONS????NEED HELP BAD!!!!!!

ok i have about 8 questions so if you can help me that would be nice....these are some questions i have no clue where to find them for a cadet music test i have..

1.What is the difference between a harmonic minor and a melodic minor.
2.Name the standard student mouthpiece size for a trumpet player.
3.What's the difference between a piccolo and a flute?
4.Write out the notes, ascending and descending, for a C-C chromatic scale.
5.Name the person who wrote Fur Elise.
6.If you're doing a concert B-flat scale and you play the Trombone, what note will you start on?
7.What interval does Star Wars start with?
8.What part of the clarinet do you adjust to tune it?

and if you can help me it would really be appreceative

Re: JUST QUESTIONS????NEED HELP BAD!!!!!!

Reply #1
1. harmonic minors have an extra accidental in the scale. melodic minors sound a lot more unusual.

3. A piccolo is a lot smaller and higher pitched than a flute

4. C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C-8ve  or: C Db D Eb E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C-8ve

5. Ludwig Van Beethoven - you can find it at the scriptorium.

These are all the answers I can give.
Hope it helps!

Reply #2
6. B-flat
7. ?
8. The mouthpiece. (Push in to go sharper, pull out to go flatter.)

Reply #3
Not quite on point, but could be helpful as to future questinos.

The U.S. Navy has actually done a pretty good job in preparing basic theory books.

They can be accessed on line through my links page at http://www.psalmistry.com/links.htm

Suspect you may find them useful if you are taking a generic music or orchestration course.

Reply #4
1. The harmonic minor scale has a raised seventh degree as compared to the natural minor.  The melodic minor scale has a raised sixth degree and a raised seventh degree in the ascending version, and those degrees are restored to the signature in the descending version.
2. The standard student mouthpiece size for a trumpet player depends on the company that makes it.  Bach is different from Benge which is different from Vacchiano.
3. The difference between a piccolo and a flute is one octave, due to the piccolo's being half the size of a flute.  The flute's lowest note is middle C (B on some models), while the piccolo's lowest note is D above that.
4. The notes, ascending and descending, for a C-C chromatic scale are C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C B Bb A Ab G Gb F E Eb D Db C.  Always use sharps for ascending and flats for descending.
5. Ludwig van Beethoven did indeed compose Für Elise.
7. If this question refers to the Main Title theme, the interval Star Wars start with is a perfect fifth.
8. The part of the clarinet I adjust to tune it is the barrel (the break between the barrel and the upper body joint).  Some instruments actually have tunable barrels.

Reply #5
Reply removed at the request of its author

Reply #6
ok this is a test in wwc webcadets which is a trial and error thing and i have tried this test about5 times already so i am looking for some help at this point.... if you wanna chaeck it out the url is http://www.webcadets.org

PO1 Brendan Colborne
Drum Major
Band DPO
Previouse drummer
RCSCC Calgary 335
Based in Calgary Alberta Canada

Reply #8
I went to the site, but did not locate music. I believe that PO1 Colborne wants to know if the web page functions correctly when seen by others.

Right now, I am using a system with IE6 on Windows 2000 and high-speed LAN. The above web site looks good and, as far as I can tell, functions correctly.

On a related note, a couple of months ago I posted a user tip to NWC, on the subject of web pages. You would be surprised how many things do not work as expected. Sometimes, a newer browser un-improves a feature. Consulting cross-browser references does not always help. Jest recently, I discovered that one of my Quicktime 6 audio files hung mid-way, but only under certain conditions specific to browser, system, and even download speed.

Reply #9
ok go to the site hit enter site....go to units then click on navy and in the box thing near the top next to the coad of arms find trade tests and it is in their......  Ok well this might be easier...

http://www.webcadets.org/training/trades/tests.htm

it is on this page

just look for music on it and join up in the wcc if you want it is free to every one and for who you herd it from say my name

Reply #10
Ah, I get it now...

Webcadets is an Internet-based social organization, perhaps along the lines of "Republic of Perl." The site does not contain music (at least, currently) but offers the opportunity for interested persons to declare their interest.

I'm not sure that is of general interest here at the NWC forum. But that's not for me to decide.

Reply #11
It's a shame that the creators/administrators of the site really don't know what they're doing.
The spelling is bad (...a minor cord and a major cord...), and the phrasing of the questions leaves much to be desired.
And don't anybody give me that "You know what I mean" stuff.

Reply #12
Perhaps this is a spam thread? The capital letters and punctuation of its title might give a clue.

Reply #13
No, just the overuse of caps and punctuation that is common among new posters... They are good questions by the way.

What about Reply 5? Is this a new feature?

Reply #14
Not exactly. It was an e-mail request, and a manual response by us to the request.

Reply #15
Given the poor spelling, I would also say that many of the questions are also poorly written:

"Name the composer of the famous 'Symphony no. 5'"

Tchaikovsky? Prokofiev? W. Schuman? Persichetti? Barnes?
So many to pick from, I happen to think that several of these composers' fifth symphonies are famous...

But regardless, good luck if you're still planning on taking the test legitimately.

Reply #16
>2.Name the standard student mouthpiece size for a trumpet player.

7C.  Just about any trumpet will come with a 7C mouthpiece.  Especially student models.  I don't know why they choose this size but it's the most common.

Reply #17
2. The standard student mouthpiece size for a trumpet player depends on the company that makes it. Bach is different from Benge which is different from Vacchiano.
That "7C" referred to in Reply 16 is correct for a Bach mouthpiece, but not necessarily for other makers.  The Bach 7C equals a 19GS by some other company, and a 23T by another (can't really read the teeny-weeny names on this chart).