Skip to main content
Topic: Drum notation (Read 6240 times) previous topic - next topic

Drum notation

I'm working on a BIG project and need to find a drum notator. Something that works like Noteworthy. Is there any other shareware I can buy that can do the job? It will also need to import some midi drum tracks. I am very desperate for this, and hope you won't mind asking here because I am a registered Noteworthy user and have contributed to this forum occasionally.

Re: Drum notation

Reply #1
I don't do much with percussion, so please forgive if I'm off base here...

When you say you want to find a 'drum notator', are you really saying you're looking for something that will generate canned rhythms into MIDI for you?

If I have understood correctly, Band-in-a-Box can probably do most/all of what you need.

If I have not understood, well, sorry I wasn't much help!

Sue

Reply #2
There is a utility in the Scriptorium that will convert a midi drum track to notation (or drum notation to a midi drum track).
You will find it at the NWC Scriptorium.

There are two versions - one written in Qbasic and another written in Visual Basic.

If you need help with this contact me.

Reply #3
I need Xs for the drum track... can I do this easily with Noteworthy or is there a specifically shareware drum notation program that I can use as a companion to Noteworthy. please, please, please, let there be one

Reply #4
Hi there - I'm also desperate for a drum notation software that will work in tandem with NWC, once which includes Xs and everything else. I've tried that DrumKit software from Scriptorium but unfortunately after downloading the zip I can't seem to open the .exe file (Run time error). I'm using Windows 95. How can I download DrumKit and will this software notate the drum parts correctly using the Xs?

Many thanks
Fiona

Reply #5
I believe that what Fiona and other users would like to see is not what the "drum kit" does, unless I misunderstand its usage. What is needed is the ability to have the notes on a staff appear as X-heads if the staff property is chosen as "drum," or something like that.

Reply #6
Another option is to use a standard open notehead with an x inside it. (I don't know whether I've actually seen this or just now made it up, but, either way, it seems to make sense.)

Reply #7
As an interesting side-note, the Selkirk College Professional Music Program (originally an offshoot of Berklee) in the town where I live encourages drummers to be familiar with standard notation (ordinary everyday noteheads) in addition to the x-shaped noteheads. It makes me wonder whether this is not at least partially due to limitations in existing midi scoring programs (the school uses Performer, which AFAIK doesn't support x-shaped heads either).

Reply #8
The 'x' is used to denote a cymbal.
A crash cymbal is a 'x' within a circle.
Open hi-hat can also be written this way but most often + and ° above the note are used to denote closed and open.
Durations of half note(minim) and whole note(semibreve) use the open note shaped like a diamond.
Drums with skins use the normal noteheads.

One problem of drum notation is that it's non-standard.
From my experience the position of crash, ride and hi-hat cymbals - snare, bass and tom-toms seems to be fairly standardized among arrangers here in Oz so I don't have problems when copying for them - but from reading books and scores from other countries there does seem to be variations.
Some of this is discussed in the text file that comes with the Drumkit program available on the Scripto.

I'm not a drummer - but correct non-verbal communication between composer/arranger and drummer is essential when you depend on the part to convey the message.
Providing the notated parts in the correct form for a drummer is just as important as when writing for any other instrument.

Most high-end midi score programs (and some less expensive ones) support drum notation including mapping between midi and notation staff positions.
They also provide rhythm markers for guitar and piano comping.

Unfortunately NWC does not provide support in software for these items.
"Point me to the wish list"!!

Reply #9
Sometimes, (if that serves as consolation) not even great editors (such as Dover and Breitköpf & Härtel) use drum notation with diferent note heads, they just put notes in the first and/or last space of a stave and that is the part playing. But that happens in scores with symphonies that I've seen and they are usually for triangolos and etc.

Reply #10
Don't credit Dover with any special music publishing expertise. They're just a bunch of guys with a stack of public-domain scores and a Xerox machine.

Reply #11
If your writing drum notation,that is x's for drumheads, what do half notes and whole notes look like?

Reply #12
An X with stem (and possibly flags or beams) would represent quarter notes and those of shorter duration. An open-style X, rather like a very bold X with white paint stripes in the center of the strokes, represents the note-head for half or whole notes; except that the half-note has a stem.

I do not know if that is standard. But I have seen it. The problem is that at low resolution, it is difficult to discern the open crosses.

Reply #13
Just picked this up in October - could Desperate please tell me which way he jumped to meet his notator need. I still can't find a good inexpensive answer.

Reply #14
Email me here btgraham(at)tpg(dot)com(dot)au
I may be able to help.