Skip to main content
Topic: My playback devices aren't opening (Read 2507 times) previous topic - next topic

My playback devices aren't opening

I have a soundblaster live value soundcard in my computer.  I usually have 4 playback devices used when playing my compositions, however just resently it said an error message that one or more of the devices weren't opening up.  I then put all of the devices in the ones that I wouldn't use to play it then three of them disappeared.  Even the one device that I have left won't open up properly so I still do not have any sound.

Re: My playback devices aren't opening

Reply #1
When you select a device into Devices used by play back, that device name will continue to show up there, even if the device is later removed from the system. Once you remove the device name from Devices used by play back, it will only appear in Available play devices if the device actually still exists on the system. Therefore, if you remove all devices from Devices used by play back and press OK, the next time you open Tools | Options | Midi, you will only see device drivers currently installed on your system in Available play devices.

So, you need to start by trying the device(s) left in your system, one at a time. If none of these work, then you have a setup problem that needs to be corrected, or your sound card hardware has failed. Your best bet is to start by re-installing the drivers for the card.