Skip to main content
Topic: Brace Control (Read 3745 times) previous topic - next topic

Brace Control

I would like to be able to place a single staff directly beneath another single staff, but WITHOUT a vertical beam connecting the two staffs. For example the first staff might contain four measures of melody, and the second staff would continue with the next four measures of melody. I've tried several things, but whatever I do I continue to get the vertical brace.

Re: Brace Control

Reply #1
I think I understand what you want, try this:

Click on one of your staves, go to File/Page Setup (or hit F2) and then click on the "Visual" tab. Select "standard" from the Style menu and do this again for your other staff. It sounds to me like you have them set to "orchestra" which connects the staves and draws braces / bar lines all the way down.
-j

Reply #2
Thanks, Joe, but that doesn't do it. I have the staff options set to "standard" and not "orchestra." Nevertheless I get a brace. Can you get two staffs without the brace with your computer and software? Maybe try just a measure or two. Thanks again.

Reply #3
I think perhaps I understand what the problem is.

The screen (editor) display is not a "what you see is what you get" proposition; each staff is as long as you make it horizontally. But when you print, or use Print Preview, each system breaks as necessary to give a multi-system layout.

You'll see what I mean if you make a staff of, say, 10 or 12 bars; press Print Preview and you'll see how it formats it onto a printed page.

Fred

Reply #4
Right, Fred...I'm aware that printing the score, breaks down into a given number of measures on the printed page. But what I'm interested in is working with the editorial function so I can find a given measure rapidly. (Some of the melodies I'm working with are quite similar, and it's difficult to pick them out for editorial revision, what with the way a melodic line is horizontally displayed with this software). I thought it would be easier to find a given measure if I could enter the notation on several staffs, say four measures to a staff. This CAN be done, but the brace, unwanted, links the staffs. And the brace appears when the notation is printed.

Reply #5
Well, to go directly to measure 16, type Ctrl+G, 16, Enter.

NOT managing a number of measure per staff is, when you understand how ot works, MUCH more powerful than having to specify it.
In particular you may choose to print toyr work on small sheets (sometimes reducing the staff size too), or in landscape instead of portrait. Without any change of the score. Believe me, after years of use, it's really useful.

However, if you REALLY want to have a "break" each and every 4 bars, you can do it: select the bar line you want, edit its properties (Alt+Enter or Ctrl+E), and in the "Bar line" tab, check "Force system break" checkbox.

For keyboard maniacs as me: to go 4 measures further, hit Ctrl+right 5 times (the first time unselect the bar), then Shift+Left will select it. Alt+Enter, Alt+F, Enter, and so on.

BTW, the brace (*brace*, not vertical bar on the left) doesn't appear between two staves using "standard" style. If you got a brace, there may be an "orchestral" or grand staff over or under.

Another thing: if you create a staff for each 4-measures, you won't be able to listen to your music as you expect it. All staves shown on the NWC view are played simultaneously.
The time notion is rather horizontal, if I may say so :)

Hope this helps!!

Reply #6
Thanks to all for the many ideas generated with my inquiry. But I do have to admit being puzzled by a statement of "marsu"...to wit:

>However, if you REALLY want to have a "break" each and every 4 bars, you can do it: select the bar line you want, edit its properties (Alt+Enter or Ctrl+E), and in the "Bar line" tab, check "Force system break" checkbox.<

I've tried that, but it doesn't lay down a new staff for me. Is it supposed to? I'm sure I'm missing something here.

Reply #7
Well, the reply may be with Alt,F,G...

The staves on NWC are of infinite length.
Th eway it is printed is determined at the last moment (except when you force system breaks).

A staff is for a voice, not for 4 measures (for example) of a voice.

Assuming you understand these principles, everything will be much clearer.

Do you want to have some examples?

Reply #8
Hey, I finally got it. Thanks to all for your patience and willingness to share your expertise.