Skip to main content
Topic: NWC-files ==> MP3 (Read 5095 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC-files ==> MP3

Is there a program which can convert NoteWorthy Composer-files into MP3? I would like to put my NWC-files on an audio-cd; WinOnCd however does only support .MP3 and .WAV files if you want to make an audio-cd.

Please help.

Re: NWC-files ==> MP3

Reply #1
As there is an NWC plug-in fro WinAmp, and as winamp can record to MP3 format, I think the solution is obvious.

Otherwise, go and search for MP3 in this forum, as the subject (format convertions) has been many times explained/discussed.

HTH.

Reply #2
Thank you Marsu,

I downloaded Winamp and the NWC-Winamp plug-in. I hope it'll work.

Reply #3
Winamp may not work. In the versions for which I am familiar, the optional plug-in must redirect its output through a Winamp input in order for its output to file features to work.

You can still do it, though. You can either:
1) Save your NWC files as MIDI and use a MIDI-to-MP3 converter

2) Use a recorder, such as MusicMatch Jukebox to record an NWC song while it is playing. You need full duplex soundcard support in order to do this.

These, and other options, are discussed in numerous past threads (see the search mechanism).

Reply #4
Oh? Didn't know this. I must be lucky on that one. I must admit that it works, but I don't know why. Mystery of Windows' applications & drivers...

Reply #5
I didn't realize that you had actually done it.

I guess the latest version has some enhancements in this area. I haven't upgraded my copy of Winamp in a little while.

Reply #6
No, I have an "old" version of winamp;
but I'm currently unable to tell which, since my PC is out of order (troubles with memory, mainboard, graphic card or cables?? Still investigating).
Anyway I did it, with some plug-in (unofficial, ie not found on winamp site, and it was a beta version. Don't remember the name, but it seems to me that it was also available on linux). My drivers (on an old SB16) are full-duplex, it may help?? I didn't try with Yamaha SoftSynth yet, but I see no reason (except CPU) why it would not work if it works with the midi mapper.
Maybe because I'm using Win95 :)

Reply #7
I have WinAmp 2.78c (fairly recent) and it won't seem to write to files direct from midi or NWC using either the diskwriter plugin or the MP3 plugin (wav files would convert correctly, however). This seems to imply that - unless you are lucky like Marsu - you need to render the NWC to a WAV file first.

In which case, either
1) save the NWC file as midi, and use a Midi rendering application (this does midi->wav direct).
2) use an application like CoolEdit, WaveStudio or even the SoundOLE, to "record the performance" (you may wish to turn off note chasing if playback is a little jumpy). This goes midi->soundcard->wav, and has a digital-analog-digital transition which the first method avoids. If you are going to MP3, however, any loss in quality will be negligible (esp. for most people's computer speakers!)

THEN you can use WinAmp or any of a number of MP3 encoders to create the final MP3 file.

Hope this helps.

A

Reply #8
Do any of these methods retain the stereo pan settings from within Noteworthy?

I'm making practice CDs for my choir... For example, to make a practice Cd for the sopranos: After I write a song, I had been setting the Soprano line to play only in the left channel and set all other vocals to the right channel. Accompaniment is usually set to the center, but at a diminished volume setting. Before I got a CD writer, I would send the output of this into my cassette deck and make tapes; worked great, but you had the inconvenience of the tapes and it takes a long time to make all the copies I need.
So I tried file conversions (NWC->WAV->CD) which got the songs on the CDs, but it seems I lost most, if not all, of the stereo separation.

HELP?

Reply #9
An extra dot has slipped into the end of the URL.
For those who don't know (yet) how to play with URLs in 404 error mode, here is the corrected link :
http://www.psalmistry.com/midi_mp3_cd.htm

BTW, David, thanks so much for such a page! It's really clear for me now, even in English :)

Reply #10
Step by Step instructions for creating mp3's, wave files, and CD's from NWC (or any midi related file) are available at http://www.psalmistry.com/midi_mp3_cd.htm.

Fairly painless. Uses a freeware version of MusicMatch, and, at least for me, has produced hiss-free results with no editing needed.

Hope that helps.