Skip to main content
Topic: Selecting Text (Read 2335 times) previous topic - next topic

Selecting Text

How do I select all the different types of text for the purposes of editing, moving, or deleting? I can select (hilite) notes, measures, staffs, etc. just fine!

Re: Selecting Text

Reply #1
Every text item (like many other item types) has associated with it a little diamond that can be used as its "handle". The diamond is in the "hidden notation" color, which is gray by default, and is generally found immediately to the left of the text. You select the text by identifing and selecting the diamond associated with that text.

If you can't visually identify the diamond you want, you can successively highlight and edit items on the staff until you find the right one. The left and right arrow keys move the cursor back and forth one item at a time, and the shifted arrow keys select one item to the immediate left or right of the cursor position.

Reply #2
Thanks Grant!

By zooming in, I found its a lot easier to select that little diamond. I can now edit the text, move the text up and down, or delete the text, but how do I move the text left or right?

Reply #3
You can cut and paste, just like any Windows application. CTRL X to cut, move cursor to desired new position, CTRL V to paste. You can also copy and paste, if you are using something repeatedly.

As I recall (I don't have the program right in front of me at this computer) selecting a large portion of a staff, rather than just a single item, may copy only the notes by default.

Reply #4
You can also select whether the text is left right or centre justified and whether it appears at the next bar, before or after other staff signatures or as "best fit", all of which affect the horizontal placement in some way. I find it difficult to know EXACTLY what effect these various options will have and normally have to try a few combinations before I get EXACTLY what I want. However, it is very rare that there is no combination that does not hit the spot. In these rare cases, a few judiciously placed spaces in the text usually tweaks the location just right.

Stephen