Skip to main content
Topic: printing book format (Read 2655 times) previous topic - next topic

printing book format

Two or three years ago I found a utility on the NWC site that would print a score in book format, with book pagination. Word Perfect has this feature too, but I now use Word 2000, which doesn't. Unfortunately, when my system was upgraded a couple of years ago, I lost that utility and I don't even remember its name. Can anyone point me to such a utility? I've searched the archive under several keyword combinations and found nothing.

Thanks,

Herb Stahlke

Re: printing book format

Reply #2
"Clickbook" is a non-free program with many advanced features, according to their web site.

If all you wanted to do was (say) shrink pages and print them side-by-side, so that two reduced pages fit in landscape mode on a single sheet of paper, then you are looking for "2up" printing. Your existing printer driver may have a "2up" capability -- take a look. If it doesn't, then there are some free utilities that will do it. One of them is called, appropriately enough, "2up" and can be found at Simtel:

http://www.simtel.net

Another is called "PCbook2" and can be found at ZDnet:

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,77404,00.html

You may also need the VB5 runtime file, if you don't already have it, available from the Microsoft download center (filed under product Visual Basic 5, for your operating system).

These products are all different, particularly with regards to special pagination (or lack thereof) and control over size and placement (or lack thereof).

Re: printing book format

Reply #3
Forget what I just wrote above. The two freeware programs will only work on text files.

Nevertheless, some printer drivers do have a built-in 2up feature, so it is worth checking your existing software. The same applies if you are pasting WMFs into documents -- your document software may have a 2-up capability. Even if it doesn't, you can use landscape layout, two columns, and paste scaled-down WMFs side by side. Admittedly that's more tedious than having it automated.