Skip to main content
Topic: emailing glitch (Read 2829 times) previous topic - next topic

emailing glitch

Since I upgraded to version 1.7, emailed files are all arriving corrupted and unreadable. I'm using Eudora Light on Win 3.1 and an old but usually reliable 386. I tried sending the files compressed, uncompressed, and even as MIDI, but no go.

Anyone have similar problems? Should I try relaoding the program?

Re: emailing glitch

Reply #1
This has nothing to do with installing NoteWorthy Composer. You have a problem elsewhere in your system.

Reply #2
E-mail on a 386? I didn't even though it was possible. Can you set up our old computer, too? :)

Reply #3
The thing is, it's worked for years with the same system and the only thing that's changed is the version of the program.
What I can't be sure of is if I sent anything successfully since reinstalling - no Noteworthy attachment comes through readable, but everything else is the same as ever. I thought it might have something to do with compression, since I've noticed that when I re-save an old file, it often gets much smaller.

Reply #4
And as far as my trusty 386 goes, I'm lucky enough to have a local server that still supports caveman technology. It's a little slow for net surfing, but email's no problem, and until recently I sent NWC files back and forth to my office computer (the one with the good printer) fairly often. Now I have to use discs :-(

Reply #5
Well, it's true that newer version of NWC use compressed NWC files by default. However, in all versions, NWC files are binary. The compressed files are more vulnerable to corruption, in the sense that it is harder to recover from a corruption when it occurs. There is no reason, however, for new NWC files to be more likely to become corrupt.

You need to figure out whether your mail system is corrupting all binary files, or just NWC files. Try ZIPping your NWC files and e-mailing them.

If they unzip successfully, then you have your answer. Your mail system may not be preserving the binary nature of NWC files, but is able to preserve other binary types. Look for an option to send NWC files as binary files.

If ZIP files also fail, then your mail system may have become prone to corrupt files.

Reply #6
Aha. I've figured it out, thanks to the suggestions in your second post, and I post this in case anyone else has a similar problem. It was, as you say, nothing to do with Noteworthy at all.

It was my email program, Eudora. There is an option on it to toggle between sending files in MIME or bin/hex format, and someone (it may have been me) had been playing with the settings and changed it to bin/hex. I switched it back to MIME, and emailed files are just fine. The only change with the new version is the intended good one that the files are smaller and thus transmit faster.

Thanks for your help.