Skip to main content
Topic: Midi and NWC Files (Read 2807 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi and NWC Files

Hi there,

Hope you can help with this: the small NWC icons (the blue piano ones) that appear whenever you see a .nwc, have turned white, like if they were midi's. So, when I open them through NWC they open normally, but when I do it through Windows Explorer they open as midi's, with Windows Media Player. They are not different files. I am talking about the same very files in both cases.
Also, everytime I open NWC a window reading something like "One or more files were not saved..." (I don't quite remember) appear. I tried uninstalling and installing again, and the window still appears.
Thank you very much in advance.

Re: Midi and NWC Files

Reply #1
Goto Tools|Options|Folders and check the folder location "Auto Save/Recovery" and make sure it is:

1 - In a directory dedicated to NWC
2 - Is empty, assuming you are not recovering anything

Your file associations can only be fixed by reinstalling NWC.

Reply #2
The kind of problem described is not a feature of NWC, but is a problem that occasionally happens with Windows. It is exacerbated if you have a lot of different programs (meaning, a lot of different icons) active on your computer.

If re-installing doesn't help, you may need to manually change your file type associations and icon associations using the Windows Folders Property panel. This is not hard to do (I would step you through it, but I am not currently on a Windows machine).

Reply #3
What strikes me as odd is that media player opens these files. This suggests that they are indeed midi files, and not nwc. You can check this by looking at the file extension; NWC files will be whatever.nwc, and midi files whatever.mid. Note that NWC can "Save As..." Type1 or Type0 midi files, although the default is NWC.

If you don't see any file extensions, enable them by opening Windows Explorer, View --> Folder Options --> View --> Uncheck "Hide file extensions...".

If you still have trouble with the wrong icons displayed, a handy tool is "Tweak UI" (available from microsoft) which includes a Repair --> Icons option.

Reply #4
This may work for you.
In Explorer - click once on one of the midi icons you mention - just to highlight it.
While highlighted - right click on the same icon - a menu appears.
Select Open With .... from this menu.
The Windows File Association dialogue box opens.
Run down the arrow list and find NWC among the applications.
Highlight NWC and enable the box "Always use ....".
Click on OK to exit.
The NWC file should open in NWC and this should now happen in future whenever you double click an NWC icon in Explorer.

Reply #5
Thank all of you very much. I'll try these options as soon as I am able.