Skip to main content
Topic: Polish chars (Read 2596 times) previous topic - next topic

Polish chars

How can I write text with Polish chars???
Which fonts provide it?

Re: Polish chars

Reply #1
Yes, you can write text with Polish or any other characters (even dingbats) if you have a suitable font.

The characters you need must be in code locations 0-255. This means that the characters must be visible using the standard Windows character map. Many fonts contain multiple character sets at higher code locations. Some software can get access to the higher codes, but not the NWC text editor.

Also, if you are using accented characters, be aware that some software creates an accented character using multiple keystrokes (base character, plus accent). The NWC text editor does not work that way -- neither does Notepad. You need to select the accented character as a complete unit, using the Windows character map.

I do not know which fonts would be best for Polish. If nobody else on the Forum knows, I'd start by trying the freely-available international-language fonts that come with recent versions of Internet Explorer, or can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Reply #2
Try editing the "Script" property of each font (File > Page Setup > Fonts). There is an "Eastern European" option. After setting that, you can copy and paste via Windows character map (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map).

Common fonts as Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New provide multi-scripts.

Hth.

PS: Andrew, you can remove the Times New Roman Unicode thingie from helpful files section. Noone needs it as NWC supports "Script" facility.

Reply #3
Thanks for reminding all of us about the "Script" property!

Reply #4
> PS: Andrew, you can remove the Times New Roman
> Unicode thingie from helpful files section.
> Noone needs it as NWC supports "Script" facility.

The Script command will only work with fonts supporting it. On my home computer (Win 98), the default Times New Roman doesn't. So perhaps it's a little premature to take it away?

Yves