Skip to main content
Topic: Why does the midi sound so mono? (Read 2468 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does the midi sound so mono?

Hi, I always use ntworthy to make midi and it works well, but one thing i can't figure out is that all the midi files i made with this program sound so mono, the sound is not so clear (especially when the midi contains "string ensemble"). When i listen to other midi files I downloaded from various sites, they all sound so good and don't seem to have the problem i have with the ntworthy. So i think that it is not a soundcard problem. If anyone knows how to solve this please help. Thanks!

Re: Why does the midi sound so mono?

Reply #1
In the staff properties under MIDI, the stereo pan defaults to 64 - dead center. Adjust each staff up or down to get your stereo mix.

Reply #2
Yes I know that function and it does improve the sound, but still when the string is being played some little noisy sound comes out

Reply #3
1: Try different string sound patches. There is quite a difference on most synths between Strings1, Strings2, and the corresponding SynthStrings sounds.

2: Check which device you have selected in Tools--> Options--> Midi. If you select the midi-mapper device, then whatever you have set in the midi-mapper (accessible through Control Panel --> Multimedia --> Midi) will be used by NWC also. All other things being equal, the sounds you get from NWC will be identical to the ones you hear in your midi player.