Skip to main content
Topic: Search function (Read 2699 times) previous topic - next topic

Search function

Apparently there are 2 search functions : one on the top on the screen which search on files in the site, the other that you access with "new message" and search in the forum, apparently even in the old part of the forum. Is it possible to have a more direct access to the search in the forum. For me it is the most important and most useful of the 2 functions.

Re: Search function

Reply #1
You might consider downloading the offline forum, which gives you full search capabilities in the forum. The online search is there primarily to help someone avoid posting a duplicate question. The offline forum is meant to be used as more of a resource.

Reply #2
" The online search is there primarily to help someone avoid posting a duplicate question." This is very important because duplicating information in many places means loosing easy access to it !
The online search also allow to find the information if it already exist so it SHOULD BE PROMOTED.
" the offline forum,... gives you full search capabilities in the forum ... is meant to be used as more of a resource."
I have downloaded it but the search on it does not give the same answers as the online search !
By the way you should be aware that the telephone situation is not the same in the US and elsewhere : we pay for the duration on local (as internet) connections; So we are reluctant to download huge files and we prepare most of our messages offline. When we access the SEARCH on line on the new message screen it is too late : our message is already typed and we send it without searching in most of the cases !
I think that having an easier access and a reminder of the search in the top the screen will decrease the number of threads having praticaly the same subject !

Reply #3
Sorry for this, I'd like to reply to Jean only, but he never gave the @.
Jean, you're right, downloading may have a non-neglecting cost in Europe; but
.1/ many free (trial offers) FULL-FREE offers may help, though I do not recommand it; (change of conf each month, and the email address also, unless you use www.fairesuivre.com or so)
.2/ you can be paid while on the internet, starting 3FRF/h; if you can read french, go and see
http://www.winbe.com/parrain.php?parrain
for details. I use it (as you can see ;) and it gives me back the money I spend for internet phone calls. And more next month. More over, this program gives you many useful tools such as AFP news, CDrom/MP3 player, RealTime-RolandGarros scores...
I'd like it to play midi or NWC also, but I kindof need some DLLs for this!

About offline forum, I've to say that it's my first place when looking for some info. It would avoid endless threads such as "how to convert wav to midi" if anyone would use it more.
If an upgrade of it could be available... ;)
...since it doesn't fit in a diskette, and I'm accessing the *Net with a PowerBook (McIntosh) :(
Hopefully, nw[cp]setup.exe are small enough to fit on it :) Thanx Eric! :) :)

Best regards,

Dominique