Skip to main content
Topic: Suppressing staff printing (Read 2619 times) previous topic - next topic

Suppressing staff printing

I know that this feature was not supported earlier - does anyone know how to do this yet?

I have a solo section in a choral piece that ends after about 28 bars, but the entire piece is 240 bars, and the solo section prints on every single page - wastes a lot of space!  I can't use layering because of note conflicts.

Thanks!!

Re: Suppressing staff printing

Reply #1
Only way I know is -
separate files.
One for the section with the solo, one (or more) for the rest.  I'd LOVE to be able to suppress staff printing as well, especially for orchestral music.
Everyone: To the Wishlist!

Reply #2
Hide all the un-needed staves using Page setup feature - the display will only show the parts you set with an x.  Then use one of the ways to reflect multibar rests, and hide all the empty space.  You'll be able to print just the bars you want, jsut like any commercial sheet music.

I use hidden bars with a visible text entry with the multibar rest symbol from userfont Boxmarks2, set to preserve width.  I usually place it after the second or third hidden whole note.  When you print the page, that staff only will print, with the clef, key and time signatures, the appropriate multibar rest sign, and the notes you want.  Using the hidden rests preserves the timing on playback, the bar counts, and lines up the visible bars with the rest of the score when you view all the staves at the same time or print the score.  You may have to play around a bit with forced system breaks, but that's really easy too.

Reply #3
The only other way I know is to make WMFs and delete all the wasted space.

Reply #4
Folks, use WMFs for this purpose. This under-used feature of NWC solves many, many requests. And, if you haven't read the other threads: The WMF handling capability of the free "Open Office" software is much better than it is in MS Word.