Skip to main content
Topic: Rehearsal Numbers/Score (Read 2525 times) previous topic - next topic

Rehearsal Numbers/Score

I just got Noteworthy Composer and I have this major Transposing assignment due soon but for some reason I can't figure out how to add rehearsal numbers and how to make a score. I'm sorry but I'm totally clueless with this.

Re: Rehearsal Numbers/Score

Reply #1
You can add rehearsal marks using plain text; press 'x' to bring up the text insertion dialog; choose an appropriate font size, if you don't like how it looks you can select the text item and edit it by pressing CNTL-E.

If you want fancier-looking rehearsal marks (with little boxes around them) get the Boxmarks font from the NWC Scriptorium and click on the 'helpful files from other NWC users' link.

Printing your score is pretty much like any other Windows application, you click on File --> Print, or click the little printer icon in the tool bar. If you want to see what it's going to look like before you commit to paper, select File --> Print Preview.

I'd also suggest spending some time with the help system, unlike many applications which don't really help much, NWC has a very well designed and informative help system.

Reply #2
To get a good idea of how to set up your score click on menu File > New and select the Quartet Template.
Complete the Score Info dialogue box if you wish.

When you exit the Score Info box a four staff score of a string quartet will be displayed with the first staff (Violino 1) selected and highlighted.

Then click on menu Staff > Staff Properties (or press F2).

There are 3 tabs here:-
1. General
This is where you add the staff name, select/add the group (strings, woodwind etc.) and the type of ending bar (usually a section close but your piece may end with a repeat close).
2. Visual
Spacing above and below the staff (note positions) to control spacing between staves.
The type of staff -Standard, Upper or Lower Grand Staff (the one displayed is Orchestral).
A check box to enable layering the staff with the next staff below (leave this for now).
3.Midi
Leave the default values for most items to begin with.

Transposition:-
If your are entering staves from a transposed score you may have to change the value for the sound transposition for transposing instruments.
A clarinet (for example) is written 2 semitones above concert pitch - so you would enter the transposition as -2 to return the written note pitch to midi concert pitch.

Playback Device:- This arrow list will show the sound devices currently installed - select the device you wish to use.
If there are no devices listed go to menu Tools > Options > Midi (tab). A list of available sound devices on your system are shown in the left box.
The devices that are available to NWC for Playback are shown in the right box. If you highlight a device you can move it from between the left and right boxes using the ->> arrows between the boxes.

Channel - You can share a midi channel between the same instruments on different staves but if your score does not exceed 16 staves then assign a different channel to each part. The Playback Instrument box at top right allows you to assign an Instrument Patch to the channel selected.
Click on Change to see the Violin patch assigned here.

If your staff is a unpitched percussion instrument it must use Channel 10.
Pitched instrument should not use Channel 10.

To add more staves to the score click on the large + icon.
Each staff you enter should have:-
A Clef
A Key Signature (even if it is C major or A minor) otherwise transposition will not work correctly.
Time Signature.
Set up all Staff Properties by clicking on the staff to highlight it then press the F2 function key.

When you have your full score set and before you enter any notes and rests - Save the score in the Template folder so you can use it again when creating new scores.

Hope this helps - but do read the help files as Fred suggested.

Reply #3
Hey Guys, THanks so much for helping me.

I'm finally getting used to the program and I definatly will be reading the help files!!