Skip to main content
Topic: Stereo Pan - What is right? (Read 2636 times) previous topic - next topic

Stereo Pan - What is right?

I am using the Stereo Pan property in the Staff Properties dialog give my piano music sound more depth. I find that adjusting the values just a little bit (eg. from 64,64 to 56,72 sounds good. I would like the left hand to come out the left speaker so it sounds like I am facing the piano. My question: is there a standard for doing this. Is a lower value supposed to be left or right? Or is this a pointless question because nobody sets up their speakers to be left and right anyway. I can't tell how my speakers are supposed to be set up.

Re: Stereo Pan - What is right?

Reply #1
0 is full left, 127 is full right.

Reply #2
I just realized that my speakers are meant to hang on the monitor, so left and right are defined. A high stereo pan value makes sound come out the left. So, is the problem with the speakers, the sound card, Noteworthy, or your information (how do you know?).

Reply #3
I believe it's defined by the MIDI standard. The problem doesn't seem to be NWC (it works fine for me). Might you have your speakers connected backward?