Skip to main content
Topic: Using the extra Midi controllers of the soundcards (Read 2735 times) previous topic - next topic

Using the extra Midi controllers of the soundcards

One thing that has really put me off with NWC is its admiteddly limited inability to utilise the various midi controllers that are available in a soundcard.

Considering the problem of being unable to use extra midi controller features of the various soundcards, due to limitations on hardware compatibility for FX addresses, it would seem useful to enter one more Controller Type in the Multi-point Controllers' Controller menu. E.g. "other controller" could be used, where the user will have to specify the address of the Midid controller in an extra field and the drag bars will range from min to max, whatever that may mean for the effect.

The user will have to refer to her/his soundcard manual to fully utilise this feature, and I believe it would circumvent alot of heavy programming. Even better, a help file could include a table of controllers and their addresses for major soundcards, whereby the inexperienced user can find which FX lies where.

Re: Using the extra Midi controllers of the soundcards

Reply #1
Yes. I agree that at least rudimentary access to controllers would be handy, and I would have thought fairly easy to put in. I guess we should remember that NWC is a Notation and COmposition program more than a MIDI-based program. Still, add it to the Wish List at http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.htm
because if enough people "officially" ask for it, it often happens.

One problem that I imagine may arise is the variety of MIDI players interpreting the controllers in a variety of ways. Short of posting your NWC files to the newsgroup for feedback on how it sounds on other systems, there's no way of telling how things may sound. Still, provision of controller input would allow users who want it and need it to create songs with a much shorter development cycle (ie avoiding having to post-process with a more MIDI oriented program).

A

Reply #2
That is also a major thing for me.. Even adding in a relatively simple controller like chorus and reverb, which almost all other midi programs support, can't be done.. Each time I want to add it in, I have to export my nwc file to a midi. Think how nice the controllers would work with nwc's already very good controller setup, which lets you do nice fade ins and fade outs. As far as it not being standard, perhaps.. but they already have five controllers there (volume, tempo, pan). Instead of having a menu of five controllers, have a menu like in most programs of all 128 and let you select the one you want. That would be excellent.
I have submitted this to the wishlist several times last year.. maybe since we're all on a roll here I'll do it again. :-)

Reply #3
I did put the exact text above into the wish list right before posting it to the forum, so its already there. In any case, the comment field could specify on what board the .mid was written on using what addys as what effects for the uninitiated, therefore it would sort of circumvent the hassle a bit. BTW, I think that tehre is a convention as to the addresses for the effects so that all the sound cards can play the same .mid in the same way (correct me if I'm wrong).

For me it would be one heck of a help. I can't afford a midi keyboard and I am forced to score composing directly on the computer. Yes, that is right, I write a song exclusively on a PC and colour it up by tweaking with each single note (It takes AGES), but it is one hell of a confidence boost to listen to yor song EXACTLY as you'd like it (after a year or two). In the meantime you listen to it hundreds of times and you process it even more so that it becomes even better. IT is slow, but it is worthwile.

My point is, such an addition on NWC would make NWC-score-composing sound less artificial. And I'd love that.

Reply #4
My "soundcard" is a Yamaha QY-70 hooked to a cheap wavetable card via MIDI. Without the ability to embed messages to the QY's controllers, I can't use any of the GX capabilities. This is about the only thing that keeps me from wholehearted endorsing NWC. Of course, scanning scores or even just piano sheets would be very nice...