Skip to main content
Topic: gliscendo (Read 4835 times) previous topic - next topic

gliscendo

hi,

i am trying to write a gliscendo for the piano using NWC. I looked at the tip files, but i am not getting a clear answer. can someone help explain how to do this?

Re: gliscendo

Reply #1
Glissando usually refers to a smooth slide in pitch from one note to another, which can be accomplished using pitch-bend MPC's (multi-point controllers. See help file). However, in the case of a piano, it would by necessity consist of a bunch of fast notes in series. Try using 1/32, 1/64, or tripletised 1/64 notes (depending on how fast you want them). Also experiment with using "grace notes" to do the piano slides.

You might want to look at an example, a good one is Andrew Purdam's "Rip It" boogie-woogie composition, available on the NWC Scriptorium.

Reply #2
Grace notes are the easy way to do a glissando, but you don't have control over the timing. Example: 3-note chords on both treble and bass staves. If the glissando is only on the bass, then precede the chord with three tied grace notes. The treble notes must be preceded with three grace note rests, to prevent it from playing at the same time as the grace notes. If the glissando is for both staves, then precede the bass notes with 3 tied grace notes then 3 grace rests; precede the treble notes with 3 grace rests then 3 tied grace notes.

See also https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1133.msg5669#msg5669

Reply #3
Hi,

I hope glissendos will be supported in NWC one day. While it's okay to emulate it on the computer using 1/32 notes, it's more important for me to have correct notation in software so i can print it out.

Reply #4
The Boxmarks font (available on the Scriptorium) has the notation you need.

KenJ

Reply #5
I'm going to be a bit pedantic -- please no brick-bats!

First, to be absolutly correct, a smooth change of pitch is a portomento, while what you get on a piano is a glissando. However, almost noone uses the terms correctly, so if you hear glissando the person speaking will PROBABLY mean a smooth change. (Unless they are playing a piano, then they will be correct, but probably won't know it.)

Second, the suggestion using grace notes is NOT a glissando, but an arpeggio (the word is derived from harp, on which such things are common). For that, you play a series of notes which form a chord in quick succession, holding them until the chord finishes. In a glissando you play a series of diationic or chromatic notes, NOT holding them, just a quick sounding of each note. The intervals are as small as you can make them (on a piano it is hard to get both the black and white keys, so you get a diatonic sequence, ditto on a harp -- the pedels won't move that fast!).

Cyril

Reply #6
Thank you for that. So the wavy line in front of a chord means an arpeggio, which can be done using grace notes as I described above. A glissando is shown by a diagonal line drawn between two notes, is that right?