Skip to main content
Topic: Sound Quality (Read 3668 times) previous topic - next topic

Sound Quality

This is the best software for score editing - great.
Please can anybody give me any tips on improving sound quality. I have a Soundblaster 16 card at the moment.
I want some piece of kit that I can link to an amp and speakers to give really good, authentic sound. Do I need a better sound card (if so which one) or do I need another piece of kit to generate the sounds.

Thanks,
Richard.

Re: Sound Quality

Reply #1
Agreed that the SB16 FM synth sounds are... well, awful. You basically have two options:

1) A software synth that uses wavetable sounds in RAM. Prerequisite: a fast computer. Even my 300 mHz K6 sometimes stutters during real-time play of dense scores. There are several software packages that use readily available soundfonts, I'm presently evaluating Audio Compositor which seems ok so far.

1a) A less CPU-intense software wave-table program is Wingroove (works acceptably even on a 486-DX2/66). But it also doesn't sound the greatest (imo). Also, I believe it doesn't allow other soundfonts than the one that comes with it.

2) Get a new soundcard. Most AWE64 owners seem to be happy with their unit, as are SBLive owners (with the caveat that SBLive appears to have "funny" dynamics characteristics, making some midis sound way too quiet). These, incidentally, also support the use of alternate soundfonts.

2a) Get a soundcard with a dedicated on-board wavetable synth. I'm very happy with my Yamaha DB50XG-based board.

btw - if your SB16 is one of the ones with a wave-blaster plug-in slot, you can get a DB50XG and plug it right in, using your existing drivers and software.

Reply #2
There is another way to get really realistic
sounds, that is never mentioned here,
because (I suggest) it is professional and not
cheap:
Use professional Samplers
like EMU ESI 4000 (128MB-Sample-MEMORY),
AKAI 5000/6000 (256MB-Sample-MEMORY)
or the so called GIGA-SAMPLER (unlimited Sample-MEMORY)
and Samples-CDs containing the sound (instruments),
you like.
(i.e.
The Synclavier - Sample-Library-Collection,
The Ultimative Piano Collection
- Steinway D, Steinway C, Fazioli F228,
- Bösendorfer 225
Peter Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra (1-5+ Up97)
- Full Sinphony Orchestra Samples (great!)
or any Style and instrument, you like.
and so on...

Have a look at:
http://www.bestservice.de/
)

That means a pratice, for sure, you need to use samples
in size above at least 128MByte!

Best Regards
Christian Peter

Reply #3
Fred missed one. You can use the MIDI outs of your SB16 to drive a better midi "box" of your choice. eg some Yamaha and Roland keyboards have excellent sounds. Goldstar also to a simple box which takes midi in. I used it for a long time before upgrading to an on-board card which can take soundfonts. The only problem with external MIDIs is that they are normally not upgradable (ie loading new sounds into them is difficult).

Regards
Andrew

Reply #4
Hi,

I was facing the same problem as you describe, plus I needed to make sure that whatever I changed to would work with the games that my kids use on our computer. I ended up getting a used Roland SC-88VL Multi-timbral sound generator. I picked it up for around $200. It either plugs into your Midi port on your computer, or your serial port with a special set of drivers. When you un-plug it from your system, it goes back to the normal sound card for game play.
I've used it with my home computer via the midi input and a laptop via the serial input, and both work great. I'm very impressed with the sound capabilities of this unit. I'm in the middle of composing a symphony right now, and this device has really helped out with the orchestration. It will output to your stereo via RCA plugs, so you can listen and tape. These things are pretty expensive new (around $500 bucks or more; Roland's newest unit costs almost $900 bucks), but it was pretty easy to find a used one. The pros probably upgrade as often as they can, and they trade in their old units...
Bob