Skip to main content
Topic: Section Transposition (Read 3960 times) previous topic - next topic

Section Transposition

In my way of composing i often have the need to transpose SECTIONS ONLY. Right now one can only transpose an entire Staff. Can anyBody come forward with a hint? (Does Nobody compose Sonatas?)
Best regards
E. Rubinstein

Re: Section Transposition

Reply #1
Highlight all notes you want to transpose, and hold down Ctrl-Shift while using arrow keys to move up and down.

KenJ

Reply #2
This will not fix the accidentals. You can copy the selected portion of the staff into a new file, transpose it there, and copy it back. It would be nice if the Transpose command worked on a selected portion of the staff.

Reply #3
But can you change the transposition in the midi setup. Much of the music I do is from classical manuscripts where clarinets, horns, trumpets, etc. play in different keys. The horns sometimes have to change key in the middle of a piece. If they have been set up as "horns in Eb" say, and need to change part way to "horns in C", how do I change the pitch of the playback but still maintain the original notation?

Reply #4
Following on from the previous post.
In big band writing the saxes often double on clarinet and flute sometimes in the same piece written on the same staff.
You can change the patch but you can't change the pitch transposition.
It's O.K. for written parts to copy, transpose and paste back into score but the playback is affected.
This problem isn't restricted to NWC - you face the same dilemma with other notation programs.

Reply #5
If you have the saxophones playing the same music as, say, flutes, copy the flute staff to another staff, change its MIDI characteristics, transpose it as desired, then _hide_ it. Your playback and score should both be as desired.

Reply #6
replying to #3: if the (playback time) transposition is not further than one tone, then you could use an MPC with pitch bend change. You can alter the tonality up to one tone (two semitones) lower, or higher.
Simply add another MPC when the transposed part goes back to its normal tone.
I just created a sample file (unregistered version to make copy possible for unreg'd users) at :
http://www.multimania.com/madmarsu/Nwc/C-or-Bb.zip
(also http://www.multimania.com/madmarsu/Nwc/C-or-Bb.nwc if you do not have trouble with direct-downloaded .nwc files.)

HTH!