Skip to main content
Topic: Differant Keys (Read 3082 times) previous topic - next topic

Differant Keys

I am putting the song "Normandy Beach" on noteworthy composer. It has a bunch of instraments in differant keys. How do i tell the staff what key the instrament is in???

Re: Differant Keys

Reply #1
On the Midi tab of Staff Properties (F2) there is a Transposition value you can set.

Reply #2
If you are entering the notes from a 'concert' score (all staves in the same key) Enter the Name, Clef and key for each staff (very important) - then just enter the notes as you see them - then transpose each staff to the correct transposition for each instrument in Tools> Transpose Staff with the option 'Adjust Playback' enabled.

If you are entering notes from a 'transposed' score (all instruments in their transposed keys) - you must set up each staff in it's correct key before you enter the notes.
Set up each staff with the correct name, clef and key signature - then under the Staff details Midi tab set the sound/playback transposition to give the correct sound at 'concert' pitch.

EXAMPLE: Concert key C
TRANSPOSING INSTRUMENTS
Alto Sax - Treble Clef - Key A - Playback transposition -9
Tenor Sax - Treble Clef - Key D - P/B transposition -14
Baritone Sax - Treble Clef - Key A - P/B transposition -21
Trumpet - Treble Clef - Key D - P/B transposition -2
Clarinet (Same as Trumpet)
And others:

"NON-TRANSPOSING" INSTRUMENTS (in Concert Key)
Trombone - Bass Clef - Key C (No transposition required)
Piano - Grand Staff - Key C (Treble and Bass Clefs)
Flute - Treble Clef (No transposition required)
Piccolo - Treble Clef - Key C - P/B transposition -12
Guitar - Treble Clef - Key C - P/B transposition -12
String Bass - Bass Clef - Key C - P/B transposition -12
Drums - On channel 10 - convert to notation to 'midi notes'.

Once the staves are set up in this way.
Click on each staff in turn and enter the notes as they appear on the 'transposed' score.

Hope this helps!

Reply #3
I think this requires some clarification. The string bass and guitar sound an octave lower than written, so their transposition is -12. The piccolo, though, sounds an octave higher than written, so its transposition should be +12.

Other "C" instruments that sound higher than written are:

celesta: 1 octave higher (transposition +12)
xylophone: 1 octave higher (+12)
glockenspiel: 2 octaves higher (+24!)
antique cymbals: 2 octaves higher (+24)

All the transposing instruments Barry lists sound lower than written, so their transpositions are negative. An E-flat clarinet, on the other hand, sounds a minor third higher than written so would have a transposition of +3.

Reply #4
Thanks Grant:

My error - the Piccolo should be +12 transposition.

Reply #5
Thanks for the help guys.