Skip to main content
Topic: File Conversion (Read 4738 times) previous topic - next topic

File Conversion

Is there anyway that you can convert a song from noteworthy onto a CD in a format that will play on a CD player in the car?

Re: File Conversion

Reply #1
Yes. Export the music from NWC as a MIDI file. Then, "record" the midi to an audio file (WAV, whatever) that can be burned to music CD (not computer data CD). The recording from MIDI to WAV takes place outside NWC.

If you go to the user tips, you will find details on the subject.

Reply #2
Well, actually, the recording of NWC "could" take place outside of NWC, in the sense you don't necessarily need to export to MIDI first.  You definitely need to use another program to do the recording (such as Audacity, which is free, and available here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net ).  Just make sure your sound card is set to record from the MIDI source and the level is set appropriately.  Click record in Audacity (or whatever program you use), click over to NWC and hit play.  When done, just stop the recording in Audacity.  You should now have a WAV file.  From there you can apply effects to the file to make it sound more professional (maybe apply some equalization, slight reverb, compression, normalize, etc.).  Then you can use your CD burner to create an "Audio CD" (not a data CD).  Once you do that, you can now listen to your composition in the car, your boombox, you walkman, etc.

Have fun, dive in, play with it, and you'll find it's not that difficult.

-- John

Reply #3
I use Synthfont for the second stage, i.e., export to MIDI, then combine this MIDI with your favorite soundfont and convert directly to MP3, or OggVorbis, or WAV

Reply #4
Thanks for all the info.  I need to rephrase the question, too.  The audacity was a bomb because I am not a technical person.  I just needed to know how to convert even a midi to a playable format.  I'll try the SynthFont suggestion.  Thanks again.