Skip to main content
Topic: Undefined Soundfont Error (Read 6554 times) previous topic - next topic

Undefined Soundfont Error

Hi my name is Arshak ...
I have a problem.

I have SB Audigy 2 Platinium and I have 1 GB memory. But i can't load more than 150 mb soundfonts either into cakewalk or creative soundfont bank meneger. It just does't let me do it in the Creative SB Bank Meneger and it shows me an error in the cakewalk("Undefined Soundfont error"), but soundfonts are OK. I've tried every one. And I make the soundfont cache as much as I can (943mb).

If there is someone who could help me with this i'll appreciate that. I am working on it about 2 weeks and can't fix it.

Thanks ...

Re: Undefined Soundfont Error

Reply #2
im assuming when you say that you have 1gb memory you are refering to system memory that is shared by the extigy are you not? problem is that shared memory means conflicts between pc and soundcard. it is quite likely the larger fonts do not work as a precaution to save your pc from crashing from lack of memory. i suggest if you want a 1gb sf2 file then you will need to upgrade your ram if this is possible. i would suggest that if for example your using xp which as far as i know requires 128m of ram u would need to increase to 1256mb ram if this is possible i hope i have been of some help if you need any more help reply to me in this forum subject and i will do my best to help you

Reply #3
What a pair of complete know-nothings.

Arshak, you have my sympathies; I'm experiencing similar issues. If anyone has a sensible answer, please let us know.

Smaller SF2's are NOT the answer. We use large SF2s because they sound many times better and more natural than the smaller looped samples. But it's not much use when you have 1GB+ of available RAM but cannot load a "small" 256MB Piano!

When I had my SB Live!, I was able to load not only the piano but a 64MB GM font and a 22MB drum font - amongst others - at the same time with no problems, other than the well-known voice-drop problem which the Audigy claimed to resolve.

However, since you can't load a single font greater than 64MB, or multiple fonts in excess of 150MB, the Audigy 2 Platinum Ex is NOT a good choice for soundfont users, IMHO.

Unless you know how to make it so...

Reply #4
Arshak,

I finally have a solution that works for Windows 2000 Pro. Your own mileage may vary...

Run REGEDIT and export the following key for backup purposes:

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Then change the following value in the above key.

"PagedPoolSize"=dword:ffffffff (decimal:4294967295)

Close REGEDIT.

REBOOT to bring the change into effect.

Note that the default is dword:00000000.

With the change in effect, all limitations are removed and you can effectively load as many soundfonts as the soundfont cache limiter will allow. Hurrah!

Enjoy! ;-)

Reply #5
so..... what am i supposed to do after all??

do you guys think it's worth bying an Audigy 2 Platinum, or is there some other sound card out there which is better for soundfont purposes???

eeeh.. that's my question:)
i am asking 'cause in two days i am about to purchase one, thnx,

Reply #6
Nice solution Roni. Worked for me nicely :)

The correct key for me though is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\

Reply #7
doh!

Im tierd :D

Reply #8
Does anyone know how to modify the regedit to allow large soundfonts in Windows 98SE?  Thanks for your help in advance.

Reply #9
Go to the Hammer Sound website at
http://www.hammersound.net/
and follow the link to the Soundfont Newsgroup, where you should find a recent posting answering this very question.  It crops up quite frequently there - and if you can't find the posting, somebody on that newsgroup will answer you.

Reply #10
Hi
i did the same thing for Win XP and it solved the problem
i just wanted to mention that you can use %50 of the ram's capacity that you see at soundfont bank manager (MIDI deivices  Soundfont cache- static catche)
Thanks

Reply #11
HI
i did the same thing for Win XP and it solved the problem
i just wanted to mention that you can use only %50 of the ram's capacity that you see at soundfont bank manager (MIDI deivices Soundfont cache- static catche)
Thank
by Roni Menida on 2003-09-02 00:27:13

Run REGEDIT and export the following key for backup purposes

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
Then change the following value in the above key.
"PagedPoolSize"=dword:ffffffff (decimal:4294967295)
Close REGEDIT.
REBOOT to bring the change into effect.
Note that the default is dword:00000000.
Enjoy