Skip to main content
Topic: File Associations on the web? (Read 3373 times) previous topic - next topic

File Associations on the web?

Okay, here's the deal. I'm using IE5, and whenever I click on a link that's a MIDI file, it'll run that file with Media Player. That's all good and dandy, but I want the MIDI to run in NWC instead. So where do I go to change that? Or for that matter, how do I change it to play in any other program, and not just Media Player? This would make my life easier if I could get those MIDIs to open in NWC from the web instead of Windows Media Player.

Thanks

Re: File Associations on the web?

Reply #1
I think IE uses the normal file associations.
If this is the case, the thing to change is in Windows Explorer (or probably IE if you are using Win 98).
In Windows Explorer, you would go to View, Options, File Types, and edit the MIDI Sequence definitions to default to Noteworthy Player.

Reply #2
Unfortunately, I did that already. I associated WinGroove with my MIDI files that way. I use Win95, and even though in my file types, MIDI files open and play with WinGroove (Or NWC), it still open up MIDI files from the web with Media Player. That's what makes this problem so frustrating...it should have been fixed already. But since I can't edit what program opens up those MIDI files, I can't make NWC or anything else open them. And that makes me mad :P

Reply #3
Sorry, as neither an IE nor Win98 user I can't help with your association problem directly, but do suggest that once you do figure it out, associate NoteWorthy _Player_ with midi files, not Composer. The reason is that Player will retain all of the dynamics and other controllers in the midi file, whereas Composer will remove them and you'll just get very flat (and usually very loud) midi renditions with mucked-up triplets.

Fred

Reply #4
Works for me!, just to make sure we're talking about the
same thing, here's what I did to test this.

Open Windows Explorer, choose "Options" from "View" menu.
Click on the "File Types" tab and select the file type "Midi Sequence"
Now click "Edit" to go to the "Edit File Type" dialog. it
should contain a list of actions, one of which is bolded.
The bold action is the default.

Since I installed Noteworthy Player, it is listed as one of
the actions, but is not the default. Select Noteworthy
Player and click on "Set Default".

From now on, double clicking a .MID or .RMI file will
activate Noteworthy Player, as will opening a MID file from
inside Internet Explorer.

You said you wanted Noteworthy Composer to be activated (are
you sure? do you really want to go through the MIDI import
wizard for every file?). If you do, get to the Edit File
Types dialog as above and click on New. Make up a name for
the action (say "Noteworthy Composer") then browse for NWC32
as the application. Finally set that action as the default.

I did this on Win95 with Explorer V4.0. Since I don't
usually use Explorer (since it won't run under OpenVMS)
I may have missed an option to specify an action for
MIDI files from within Explorer itself.

Reply #5
I said Internet Explorer, not Explorer. I have Media Player 6.0...maybe that has something to do with it. I'm also running IE 5. I have associated all of the actions as default actions in the *.mid file type, but Media Player opens it up no matter what I have as the default player.

Reply #6
In that case I'd try to find help from Microsoft.
Surely they haven't created such a badly engineered piece of software that you can't easily do this?!?!!? :)

Try the Help menu on IE5, or the knowledge base (well at least they don't call it intelligence!) at !www.microsoft.com

A