Skip to main content
Topic: inverted fermata (Read 5304 times) previous topic - next topic

inverted fermata

From the "what's new" section:
Inverted fermata is now automatic when placed below the center of the staff

I would really prefer if one could choose when to have normal or inverted fermata symbol; for instance, for many Bach chorals it is necessary to use an inverted fermata even for notes above the center of the staff

Thanks,
Marco

Re: inverted fermata

Reply #1
You can do that now (in NWC1 and NWC2) by placing an inverted fermata as a text object, rather than using the automatic fermata. One of the user fonts (Scriptorium) has it. That's not the same thing as what you requested, but it's a useful alternative.

Reply #2
I think there is a misundersdtanding here. It is the position of the Fermata, not the Note that determines invertedness. If it is above the stave then it should be the right way up; below, inverted. And that is what NWC does.

Reply #3
"marco" has a point in that you might want an inverted fermata under a note that still is above the center line of the staff.

We will consider it.

Reply #4
But that's already possible?!?

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:-7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #5
This is the scenario:

|Clef|Type:Treble
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:5|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:10|Opts:Stem=Up

Reply #6
I'd thought about that but come to the conclusion that it could never be correct, or even occur in a practical situation. And Marco's example of a Bach Chorale would never have a note that high in any case.

The stem-up implies an upper part and the Pause should therefore be above the note in that part. Putting it below would apply it to the (presumed) lower part.

And if it is not an upper part then the stem should be down and the Pause should still be above it.

Still, if someone wants it differently, and it's not too difficult to implement, then why not?

Reply #7
After giving it consideration through the afternoon, I am inclined to agree with you, Peter. So, at the moment, it is not a high priority item, especially since it can be done using the font and a text expression.

Reply #8
Hello,
first thing I would like to thank you all for your help; as a matter of fact my problem has been solved with reply #2 by Peter and I'm sorry, I did not realize that was the fermata position (and not the note one) to determine the invertedness. So I apologize for have causing all this mess...

The following examples is very fine for me (and Bach Chorales)

|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:11|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|TempoVariance|Style:Fermata|Pause:0|Pos:-9|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Up
Thanks,
Marco

Reply #9
-
Just to express my thanks and appreciation for the improved NWC clip mechanisme. ;)
_