Skip to main content
Topic: I use Noteworthy for... (Read 5976 times) previous topic - next topic

I use Noteworthy for...

Composing...
Transposing parts...
Sheet music from MIDi files..
Songwriting... and
Transcribing...

There are three things I look forward to being added to Noteworthy: drum notation, guitar chords, and different engravement styles, (I've come up to 3 wishes after reading other people's needs) but overall Noteworthy is a great tool. :-)

What do you guys use Noteworthy for?

Re: I use Noteworthy for...

Reply #1
Composing
Tranposing parts
Arranging
Rewriting band parts to remove awkward turn-overs
Studying scores - I find the exercise of transcribing scores reveals much that I miss from just reading or listening.

I use the midi playback facility for a) proof reading (proof listening?) b) to get an initial impression of whether my composition stinks or not c) score study.

My top three wishes relate to score editing: 1) n-tuplets 2) percussion notation 3) transposition by specified interval (e.g. minor third, perfect fifth etc.) rather than number of semitones - this would allow implementation of an improved note spelling algorithm so that we don't have to, for example, change the D sharps to E flats after transposing. Tweaks that enhance playback facilties are not unwelcome but figure much much lower in my wish list.

Reply #2
Heyaz,
I don't know if it's really on the cards but wouldn't it be a good idea to add guitar chords as well as the drum notation and kill two birds with one stone? (okay I'm not into feathered-friend carnage but that old phrase seemed to do the trick)
beer glynt. (classical beer drinker :-)

Reply #3
I sing in a choir, and use Noteworthy to prepare MIDI tracks of my own part, for rehearsal. I also use it to print sheet music of my own part isolated from others, so that I can see what I am doing (being a poor sight-reader). NWC absolutely beats any alternative I know of for those purposes, and I have access to the big programs.

Reply #4
I use NWC for:
arranging
"quick notation"
composition (when I have time, which is never)

I'd like to see:
1,2 and 5 line percussion staves working,
n-tuplets generalised
transposition worked out a bit better to avoid "respelling"
guitar chords being transposable would be nice
selective copy and paste - or merge/split of staves
selectable notehead shape
cue size implemented
muting of specific notes

I must get to the wish list...

Reply #5
Transcribing old folk/western, and spiritual/gospel songs so I can hear them and sing along once again.

This is the most fun and is a very personal form of satisfaction.

BTW, I see Andrew Purdum has resumed posting. I'm happy to see this because he's always been a wonderful and willing resource.

Gordon

Reply #6
Editing my compositions, but I never have enough time to do it, so I compose much faster than I edit. I'd like that Nwc could make us select wich parts are going to be on a certain system, for I sometimes want only the playing parts to be showing in the printout, and in the next system I want every body to be shown out, but that's impossible to be made.

Reply #7
HI folks, please tell me about copyright; can I charge people for arranging music for them even if they don't own the music? For example, if there is a band playing in a concert hall can i charge them to arrange their music if they are playing contemporary musics? thank you.

Reply #8
First, the owner of the copyright has the exclusive right to (that means nobody else can) make "derivative works" (that is, arrangements) AND to perform the work in public.

If the band has obtained permission to perform the work, and the band has also obtained permission to modify the work for their own performance (two different things!) then you may perform that activity (arranging) as an "agent" of the band doing "work for hire", and take money for it. Otherwise, NOT.

If the band doesn't have those rights (and you haven't obtained those rights), your taking money means that you have not only violated copyright, but you've caused financial harm to the copyright holder -- and are subject to more serious legal penalties.

I'm not a lawyer, and there are undoubtedly nuances of this that I couldn't understand if someone explained it to me. But I believe that this is accurate so far as it goes.

Reply #9
I use Noteworthy for...

- Learning songs for various operatic groups I belong to.
- Listening to other people's compositions / arrangements

I'd also like to use it for creating my own arrangements of songs, if I had the time.

Listening to other people's compositions often involves importing MIDI files, so my number one wish is for NWC to do this properly (i.e. triplets).
It would also be nice if bar lines were inserted automatically as you record. I know you can do automatic bar lines afterwards, but this messes up accidentals.
My third wish is for user-definable key settings. I tend to record with one hand on the PC keyboard and one on the MIDI keyboard, so I don't want to use the mouse, and I want all the keys I use most on the same part of the keyboard. NWC is pretty good in this regard, with lots of the keys on or near the numeric pad, but not all of them.
For the same reason, a method of changing the note duration for one note only, or changing the last note without having to select it would be nice.

Most of these are personal preferences, because of the way I work. NWC is a great product, and I use it exclusively for recording music. I do have other programs, but don't use them because they don't measure up to NWC for ease of use. Keep up the good work!

Reply #10
Saxophone Quartet, and larger sax ensemble compositions and arrangements. Soon I will have many of these for sale.

Composing and arranging for jazz band.

Reply #11
I started using NWC to do a composition project and finish a long overdue Music degree. I plan to continue enjoying the great features of NWC long after the project is complete.

Reply #12
I work on a cruise ship showband, so I use Notheworthy for:

Arrangements,
Transcriptions, and
Writing last-minute chasers!

Now here's my problem: my saxes play flute and clarinet too! When I replay my things, in order to make sure everything is at its right place notewise, they can play their own sounds, with the patch change option! BUT A FLUTE DOESN'T PLAY IN THE SAME KEY AS A SAX! Neither does a Clarinet and an Alto Sax! WAAAAAH!

Complementing the patch change, what I REALLY look forward to see is:

-A PITCH CHANGE OPTION!

...also in addition to ALL the wishes I've seen in this reply list! Thanks!

P.S.: to the Noteworthy programmers: my god, we're a demanding bunch, aren't we? ;-)

Reply #13
Same problem.
You can change the patch to check the sound but you have to do a cut/transpose/paste to get the parts looking right.
Many of the requirements for dance band writing are lacking.
Please add your voice to the wish list.

Reply #14
I have a hearing problem - sensorineural deafness. As every orchestral practise leaves my ears ringing for 4 to 5 days, I use NWC instead to "play" the pieces I would otherwise love to do in real time. Makes me feel understand music and the role of conductors better as well.

Reply #15
To achieve different transpositions on the same staff you could use layered staffs, one for each instrument. When the instrument is silent use hidden bar lines and whole rests.

Reply #16
I use noteworthy in my High School Choir. I place it all together(as many LONG hours it may take) and bring it to choir, and make demo tapes. I also use it in my Church choir were I am Director. It's really nice to let them listen to something I have, instead of going over and over with rythms and notes when I can just hand it to them.
If there was a change I would say, to be able to just write chords.