Skip to main content
Topic: Search and replace (Read 3739 times) previous topic - next topic

Search and replace

I can't find an earlier reference to this so here goes.

Most text editors include this function as a matter of course. Does anyone out there think that a form of search and replace, possibly limited in scope, would be a useful addition to NWC?

Some instances that spring to mind:

Search for all minim (half-note) rests and replace with two crotchet (quarter note) rests (a common convention in 3/4 time).

All those "enharmonic key spelling" problems that get aired from time to time.

I'm sure there are more.

Bob

Re: Search and replace

Reply #1
Yes, I've wished for a search-and-replace facility on several occasions, especially for the enharmonics situation. Interestingly, while such a facility is common in most other apps, I haven't seen it in music scoring or sequencing programs (at least not in the ones I own). Such a function would therefore be a real coup for NoteWorthy Artware if it were implemented.

Meanwhile, there's at least a partial workaround. Maybe most people are aware of this, but I wasn't until recently. CNTL V (Paste) can be used to overwrite an existing selection; you don't have to first delete the selection to be replaced. Simply CNTL-C (copy) the desired selection to the clipboard, then highlight (select) the section to replace, then CNTL-V.

Reply #2
Music Works - an Aussie sequencer will do the enharmonic changes.
But (whisper) - the editor is bloody slow in transposition and has several other frustrating features.
Cakewalk has a very useful event editor.
I'd like to see something similar in NWC also.

Reply #3
I seem to recall that Sibeluis features quite a sophisticated search and replace facility.

Reply #4
Man, I've found a few different times when I could use a search replace. I had to do it manually and can't exactly recall when it could have been SO useful!

Reply #5
Yes, a S&R function could be helpful.
But I see it in two distinct states:
one for text items, i.e. locate where the teXt item containing "A5+" has been placed
one for musical items, in which we could enter part of score (or paste it from somewhere) to locate where it may be in a full score. This would be helpful when you decide to change the them of a fugue for instance :-)
I think this is not too easy to implement, especially 2nd !!

NWCLy yours,
MAD