Skip to main content
Topic: Change midi instrument sounds (Read 3414 times) previous topic - next topic

Change midi instrument sounds

Is it possible to change the way an instrument sounds. For example I don't like the way the french horn sounds when I select it as a playback instrument. Can I replace tgis with a better sounding french horn?? If so, how do I do it??

Re: Change midi instrument sounds

Reply #2
In my opinion, the best module ever made was the Roland U-220. If you get the Orchestra Winds pcm card, there are several french horns to choose from, and they are all wonderful sounds. The SN-U110 pcm cards work on the D70, rhodes model 760, super LA, u220 synth, etc.
NoteWorthy and one of those modules/synths is the best!

Reply #3
My original post was brief and perhaps didn't outline quite what I was asking. I was wondering if it were possible to change the selection of instrument sounds when I play music from NWC through the sound card. I do not have a keyboard yet just writing and playing back. My sound card is a 16 bit Yamaha OPLA3 and the instrument sounds are OK but can I make them better. There is a function in the multimedia part of Win95 that allows me to select an instrument definition file (*.idf) for General midi playback. Does this have anything to do woth different sounds?

Any help with this would be appreciated...humour me :-)

Reply #4
I believe the only way to change/improve your instrument sounds for computer playback would be to get a different soundcard. I've been told that soundblaster64 has excellent instrument sounds. I installed a newer soundcard (not SB64) on my home computer a few weeks ago, and many instruments (particularly brass and woodwinds) seem to be improved. However, the percussion sounds are not as good. :-(