Skip to main content
Topic: Keyboard and NotheWorthy (Read 3784 times) previous topic - next topic

Keyboard and NotheWorthy

A friend of mine is planning to get him self software for
reading notes from his Roland keyboard (don't know what modell)
He has been talking about Musicator or Finale, which both
have posibilities for entering notes from a keyboard, but
does anyone know if these two products offers so much more
in note writing capabilities that it is worth the huge
difference in price? As you may understand, the main purpose
is writing notes via his Roland keyboard.

Cheers

Ulf Holt

(Who hasn't got a keyboard, but loves NoteWorthy)

Re: Keyboard and NotheWorthy

Reply #1
The answer is it depends on what you want to produce.
If I were publishing my music I would use an expensive product like Finale so that I could produce all the notation marks that NoteWorthy lacks.
But my purpose is to produce readable scores and parts for the big bands I play with and NoteWorthy almost makes it for that purpose and at a considerably cheaper price.
There are demo versions of both these products available - try Harmony-Central on the web - I've tried both demos.
I suggest your friend tries the demos and makes up his own mind.
You need to weigh up cost, ease of use, ease of printing and output results from each package.
I chose NWC because I believe it wins on most counts.

Reply #2
It's not worth the overhead to go to finale. You'll need 30 days (8 hrs a day) just learn the basics. And you'll still need to refer frequently to their encyclopedia of how-tos. It's a tough progrram to learn.

Reply #3
For quick, quality, musician-friendly results go NoteWorthy.

Reply #4
Seems that Note Worthy is what I am looking for. I only want to write scores for me and my kids. However, I use a Macintosh. Can you tell me a) whether there is a Mac version and b) how much it costs and c) where NoteWorthy is available (I am living in Bonn, Germany, but it is no problem for me to get somthing in the US. Thanks

Reply #5
Eric is the best person to answer this question, but NWC is not available for the Mac at this time. I don't know if it is being planned for the future. You could try PC emulation on your Mac (though for the price of the extra hardware you could probably buy Cubase!) or buying/finding a cheap 486 PC with soundcard, Win 3.11 and NWC for 1.51 for Win 3.11. Others on this forum use NWC under Win 3.11 quite happily.

Andrew

Reply #6
For PC emulation on a McIntosh, I'd recommand RealPC. It allows you to emulate a Multimedia PC hardware correctly, and you can choose yourself which software to install : Dos, Win3.x, Win95, ... Dos6.22 is included. I guess this works even on a 68040, but you may need some extra memory.
Otherwise Andrew's right, buy an old PC (second hand maybe).

Reply #7
For PC emulation on a McIntosh, I'd recommand RealPC. It allows you to emulate a Multimedia PC hardware correctly, and you can choose yourself which software to install : Dos, Win3.x, Win95, ... Dos6.22 is included. I guess this works even on a 68040, but you may need some extra memory.
Otherwise Andrew's right, buy an old PC (second hand maybe).
Hope this helps.