Skip to main content
Topic: Question about a symbol (Read 2855 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about a symbol

In sheet music, there is a symbol that looks like a fancy S, being slashed with a / and has a dot on either side, representing a continuation point. What is this symbol called, and how do I place one in noteworthy composer?

Re: Question about a symbol

Reply #1
It is called Dal Segno, abbreviated D.S., and translates as "The Sign."
It can be found in [abbr=I wish there were a real underliner...]I[/abbr]nsert > [abbr=I wish there were a real underliner...]F[/abbr]low Direction, or by pressing the F key.
You'll need to select Segno from the pull-down menu.

Reply #2
Actually it's just called the "segno", or the "sign".  Dal segno mean "go to the segno", or "go to the sign".  It's a way of marking a spot in the song where you will return to later.  It doesn't have to be at a repeat sign; it can be in the middle of a section.  Usually, you'll have additional information when you tell it to go to the sign.  For example, you might use D.S. al Fine, which means go back to the sign and play until you hit the "Fine" (ending).  Or maybe D.S. al Coda, which means go back to the sign, then when you see the "to Coda", jump over everything else to the spot marked as the Coda.

These are just shortcuts that allow you to repeat sections of the song, rather than write them out again.  It's much easier to play off a 2-page piece (with some jumping around), rather than having to turn a lot of pages, because repeat sections are written out.

Hope this helps a little.  I'm sure others will add more information to it.

John

Reply #3
AFAIK,
Dal = From [the] .
Just like Da Capo = From the beginning. Capo = head.
So, Dal Segno = From the sign.
Da and Dal are just two forms of the same word, there is only case-difference. (Linguistic case of course, not typographic.)

Reply #4
I need to know what segno the sign in music means?

Reply #5
Well, re-read reply # 2 by John Ford. Does that not explain it perfectly?