Skip to main content
Topic: Postscript Printer Driver for W98SE (Read 2754 times) previous topic - next topic

Postscript Printer Driver for W98SE

Hi Folks,

On my WindoZe 3.11 PC I had previously installed the Postscript printer driver and Ghostscript in order to create PDF files from NWC scores. In W311 the Postscript driver was listed as such in the "Add Printers" section ("Postscript Printer" <G>). After upgrading to Windows 98 SE, I don't see a PS printer driver, but a bunch of others that are close, I'm not sure which one I should install. There are a lot of Apple Laserwriter models listed (as well as other manufactors), all with a "PS" suffix after the model number. Any ideas of specifically which one would be the best to create .PS printer files for use with Ghostview/Ghostscript?

Thanx for any info,

Rich Nagel
richnagel@compuserve.com

Re: Postscript Printer Driver for W98SE

Reply #1
All the Applewriter series use the same Windoze printer driver pscript.drv. However, it's a bit woosie, and can actually crash the generating application under some conditions.

I'd suggest getting Adobe's "Generic PostScript Driver" V4.3.1 (free). When you configure it, don't worry about the printer definition files, just use the default generic one it comes with. Connect it to "File" and away you go.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/5b22.htm

btw - there's a new version of Ghostscript now available (V6.50) which reportedly contains significant improvements to the PDF conversion algorithms. Going along with that is a new (V3.5) version of GSview, which takes advantage of the new features. However, please note that these no longer work properly under Windows 3.x (for which you'll need to stay with Ghostscript 6.01 + GSview 3.4). For further information see my page on the subject:

http://www.netidea.com/~fredn/gsinfo.htm

Re: Postscript Printer Driver for W98SE

Reply #2
Hi Fred,

Many thanks for the info -:) I'll try the generic PS driver and the new version Ghostscript that you suggested.

Again, many thanx -:)

Rich