Skip to main content
Topic: Increase note spacing for larger note durations (Read 2958 times) previous topic - next topic

Increase note spacing for larger note durations

Is there some way to apply this non-globally?
What I mean is that sometimes whole notes just seem to take up too much room, but if I uncheck "Increase note spacing for larger note durations" then EVERYTHING gets crammed together, and I need to pad things out with "Preserve width" spaces, which is WAY too much work, so I'm looking for a way to make whole notes take up less space without compacting all of the other notes.

tia

Wes

Re: Increase note spacing for larger note durations

Reply #1
A possible option is to force system breaks where you want them. The material on each system will then get spread out to fill each line.

This has to be done on the first (top) staff: select the bar line where you want the break, CNTL-E or ALT-Enter to edit, check the box marked "System break."

Reply #2
If your music is intended to be printed, rather than heard, you can "cheat": Instead of placing a whole note, place a half note. Then, make it invisible (hidden). Using the Noteworthy font as a user-defined text font, place whole notes over the hidden half notes. These whole notes are merely symbolic - the program doesn't know or care that they look like notes, rather than like letters. You will need to experiment with the proper font size, and placement. It works on a file-by-file basis (rather than as a program setting), but you can make yourself a template with the font built in.

Reply #3
I sometimes create "space" between the notes by inserting blank text entries with "Preserve width" checked; I find this particularly useful when also using text to enter chord names where the chords change frequently - eg. 3 or 4 times in a measure - and/or have lengthy extensions. I agree, though, that a "non-global" function of the type suggested would be useful

Reply #4
The material on each system will then get spread out to fill each line.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, though Robert A. seems to have gotten my meaning.  I don't want to spread out the measures, unless you to do this in conjunction with unchecking "Increase note spacing for larger note durations."  When I do this, the whole notes do indeed take up less room, but now are centered in the measure rather than being aligned at the start of a measure.  It just doesn't look right.

I just tried Robert's suggestion, which works quite well.  Thanks!
If your music is intended to be printed, rather than heard,...
I inserted hidden tempo markings before and after the ersatz whole note, which results in a proper aural rendition as well.
Thanks again,

Wes