Skip to main content
Topic: ies don't hold the note (Read 2929 times) previous topic - next topic

ies don't hold the note

In my vocal score notes that are tied

Re: Ties don't hold the note

Reply #1
Did you get an answer to this problem?  I am going crazy from tied notes sounding each individual note.  Either I figure out this or I'm going to have to train my fingers and brain to do Finale/Print Music cause this "feature" or default behavior is simply wrong, wrong - (that was "two wrongs don't make a right", I'm going crazy, I can tell.)

Re: ies don't hold the note

Reply #2
Are you using a tie or a slur?  Slurs will sound the second note, ties do not. 

Keyboard shortcut:
; = slur
/ = tie

From the toolbar, the note with the downward curved arrow is the slur, the one with the upward curve (no arrowhead) is the tie.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re:Ties don't hold the note

Reply #3
Thanks,

Maybe it isn't NWC that is the problem.  When I play the melody in NWC2 it is playing correct - when I import the NWC2 midi-export into BIAB, BIAB is not playing the tied notes correct.  I'm still going crazy, but it seems like NWC2 is not at fault.

The melody is a mess of triplets and ties so it is sometimes hard to hear that the tie is tied correct.

I slowed it way down in NWC and confirmed NWC is playing the .nwc file correctly.  I have to assume the export to MIDI is correct.

Re: ies don't hold the note

Reply #4
When exporting to MIDI it is often a good idea to set a legato playing style.  Not always appropriate, but very often is.

FWIW I use BIAB too, and haven't had any real problems when importing MIDIs produced by NWC.  A good way to make sure it isn't a BIAB style or such getting in the way is to play back BEFORE applying any BIAB styles, OR after applying the style to mute all parts EXCEPT the melody...

another FWIW - note data in MIDI is basically a simple series of note on and note off commands - MIDI simply doesn't understand notation at all, including ties and slurs.  If the playback in NWC is correct, then the MIDI export will be correct too (this is ignoring fermata and breathmarks which do NOT export correctly).

<edits in italics>
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.