Skip to main content
Topic: Converting midi to wav. (Read 3455 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting midi to wav.

I had been using synfont to convert midi to wave but the newer versions of synfont got buggy; does anyone know of a reliable midi to wav converter software.

Re: Converting midi to wav.

Reply #1
G'day Cegull,
firstly, let me welcome you to the forum.

Now, I generally use Audacity and vanBacso Karaoke player - play the MIDI in vanBasco and record the Stereo mix or "What U Hear" (Creative cards) or whatever your sound card calls it's output via Audacity.

Get Audacity from:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

And vanBasco from:
www.vanBasco.com

This method isn't as fast as a direct render can be, but you can hear what's going on and see the waveform as it is created in Audacity.  This way you can easily tell if there are going to be headroom problems or if the levels are too low etc.

Once in Audacity you can also apply all kinds of filters etc. 

Now, I haven't tried this but I reckon you could even set up to record each MIDI channel individually and lace 'em back together at the end.  That way you could add effects to particular instruments etc.  Think of it as a poor mans multi track recorder - just takes as many recordings as it there are channels in the MIDI.

You would accomplish it by muting all but the required channels in vanBasco for each "take".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
My method is the same as Lawrie's, except that I simply use the Creative MediaSource Player to simultaneously play the MIDI and record it. Comes out fine. Before I had a Creative card, I used Clive Backham's Wave Repair (http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/). It's designed to transfer LPs to CDs, cleaning them up in the process (it's still the best program I know for doing that), but it can also function as a standalone recorder for whatever your computer happens to be playing at the moment. There are other programs that do this as well (nothing wrong with Audacity, for example). The basic idea, whatever software you use, is to capture and record the output of your sound card on its way to your speakers.

Bill

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Reply #4
I know about a simpler way of converting, compared to Audacity that converts tunes using sound recording. There are free services that allow converting files directly through the internet. But I have many midi files that should be converted, and these services don't allow queuing files. So I found a program MIDI Converter Studio. All you need to do is drag and drop mp3/wav files to the program window and click its convert button.