Skip to main content
Topic: Accents (Read 4683 times) previous topic - next topic

Accents

I use NWC often for work and in hobby and I am frustrated that a housetop accent (^) is not included. (Sorry I can't think of the correct name for it at this time.) This is a very common accent in jazz and band music and being a H.S. band director, I am tired of adding this accent by hand. I have used the text editor to add them but found difficulties when corrections to the score were made, etc. I have sent this to the wish list many times, but I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Anyone else want this?

Re: Accents

Reply #1
Whilst the "^" is a very commen accent in music, it is rare that I actually hear musicians play it right, and I have found that the ">" is played virtually the same by professional musicians. To be honest, to get the musicains to play the ^ accent properly, I give them a > with a staccato underneath. It works, the musicians can read it fine, and at least they play it the way I want it.

Reply #2
By the way, a squeaky wheel gets the grease when the grease is available. For the time being though, it is so annoying! :-))

Reply #3
I agree. We need the circumflex accent. The > with a dot (which I'm forced to use) is not played the same in dance band music. The housetop traditionally gets played as a harder accent. Also, I spend a lot of my life adding two marks when one would do.

Reply #4
I discovered the ^ accent (musically speaking of course, in french language it is often used) recently, and none around me could explain its musical value. Now I know, thanks to you all !!
So I may give you some hint to reduce your pain when coding it in NWC : instead of using ',' and '>' kbd keys which give +/- the same sound, you can define a unique quick-key that will :
1. type in the two previous keys for, selecting the note to the right of the cursor ;
2. go up an octave
3. insert text with '^' character in ScoreBold, not preserving space ;
4. go down an octave and go right.
Of course you can do 1. separately, or 2-4 as a whole (not played then, but printed).
To define this macro(s), you need recorder.Exe (Win3.x macro recorder of µSoft, basic but works anywhere).

I'd be glad to send this macro, but I'm 99% sure that it would not work. Since I am using a french kdb, and its layout is NOT the US std... (Very annoying in most bad-written games, by the way :-()
You can refer to http://www.pcug.org.au/~apurdam/noteworthy.html (Andrew's NWC page), he describes how to use the macro recorder of Windows (3.x!!! µSoft stupidly removed it from W95, but it still work though.)
You can look at his macros, they are re-played at the normal pace so you will get how it works. Read the description (about placement in particular) before.
And then do your owns...
PDNHTCM if you need more explanations.
HTH,
MAD

Reply #5
PDNHTCM Please Do Not Hit The Computer Monitor????
HTH Hope This Helps!!! (Eric's catchcry!)
MAD ?????

A

Reply #6
MAD would be short for "MADMARSU" I presume?

Reply #7
LOL :-)
PDNHTCM = "Please Do Not Hesitate To Contact Me"
MAD=Marsupilami A... & D... (in French... in English it'd be MND. Less fun)

Sorry for this <:-|

Andrew, is there lyrics on your courante (Praetorius' one) or is it only a wind quartet ?

Reply #8
Squeaky or not, I rather agree with the original post. I added this request to the wishlist a while ago, and have yet to see it implemented.