Skip to main content
Topic: Accents like this: ^ --before its too late! (Read 2424 times) previous topic - next topic

Accents like this: ^ --before its too late!

I've been working on my first full jazz arangement for jazz ensemble, and just inserting the short, hard accents that look like teepees as the text symbol "^". It's a boundless pain trying to align all of those suckers over their respective notes, though... especially since I have to re-align them every time I transpose, separate, or harmonize a part. And this for all five saxes, four bones, four trumpets, and all the accompanying personnel... gaaah! I'm at my wits' end! Needless to say, I've already requested the feature (it must have sounded like I was begging), but if anyone else has their own crafty way of inserting ^'s, tell me! Please!

Re: Accents like this: ^ --before its too late!

Reply #1
The text thing is not hard at all... if you choose the right alignment. Use "Preserve width" OFF, "at next note/bar" alignment, and "center" justification, and it will follow your notes regardless how you format them. This method places the accent squarely over the note head; ideal for downward-pointing note stems. If, for upward note-stems, you'd prefer the accent to ride over the stem, then preceed the ^ with two spaces.

Then copy the item, and paste it before every note that needs this indication. My method is to use the mouse to position the insertion point, and CNTL V on the keyboard to do the pasting.

HTH

Fred

Re: Accents like this: ^ --before its too late!

Reply #2
Also, if you want to explore some other musical fonts - i.e. musicator, finale, etc. - just assign one of them to User 1 - or any other - and look for the marcato character! I use one of them for my own jazz arrangements, and it's BEAUTIFUL! Shame to say that it ain't a NoteWorthy Font, but... well, all in good time!