Skip to main content
Topic: Printing email graphics (Read 7271 times) previous topic - next topic

Printing email graphics

Not really a NWC question, but I send messages to choir members sometime with a few bars (measures) copied from NWC score and inserted as a picture (jpg) in the main body.Question is, some members can print the email as displayed on the screen, but some (including myself) only get a little box with a cross where the music example graphic should be.My own system is Win98SE with Outlook98 as the email browser.Others are using XP and whatever.Some can print some can't. The 'Print Preview' on the 'File' tab is greyed out.Ordinary Text emails print OK and 'Print Preview' is active.How do we get the full print?

Re: Printing email graphics

Reply #1
Have you tried sending it as an attachment instead of placing it directly into the email?

Reply #2
Their email programs have to be configured to display embedded pictures, and I think their security settings need to be as well.

If you print your music to pdf format, using a program such as pdfcreator.exe from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pdfcreator/PDFCreator-0_8_0_AFPLGhostscript.exe?download

you can send it as an attachment which they should be able to view and print in any word processing program.

Reply #3
There is a simple workaround. Paste the graphics in a Word-document.
You can use Insert, Picture, From File
or, when the picture is on the clipboard, a simple Ctrl-V will do.
Then send the Word-document as attachment. The beauty of it is that the recipient does not have to check and fiddle. Some cannot, others will not...

Word also opens other possibilities: from a Windows Explorer, you can drag Noteworthy-documents into a Word-document. Since some virus scanners no longer allow .nwc as a valid extension, this is your new option to still send Noteworthy files. Works like a charm (although even stricter virus rules in offices may still find the attachments inside Word-documents!)

Reply #4
The solution is for the recipient to configure his machine for what he wants to receive and be satisfied with the consequences.

Sorry Rob, but if a user has his security set to exclude jpegs, the solution should decidedly not be for the sender to try to fool security.

Word costs several hundred $USD. I don't have it. I would guess that most "home" users that have it, have an illegal copy.  Same for WordPerfect, Excel, PowerPoint...

Too many senders assume that the recipient will have all the software that the sender has. bad assumption

That said, I can usually get what I need. It is amazing what I can extract using WordView and a Hex editor.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Thanks guys. I do use pdfs and Word. Trouble with Word is, the recipient needs to have the correct fonts.Trouble with attachments, some people don't know how to open them or store them where they can find them.

Reply #6
Trouble with Word is, the recipient needs to have the correct fonts.
Fonts can be embedded in Word so that the recipient can not have the same fonts and still see the proper display.