Skip to main content
Topic: printer properties (Read 2650 times) previous topic - next topic

printer properties

I'm formatting a score for printing to a file in landscape using the Apple LaserWriter Plus driver. This is not my default Windows printer. When I save and re-open the file, the printer and orientation info is lost, which makes the Print Preview display incorrect. In order to get the correct display, I have to go into Printer Setup and reset the printer & orientation.

I'd rather not have to do this. Is there any way that NWC can (or might in the future) store away enough info in the .nwc file to make the Print Preview correct for the intended output device?

Re: printer properties

Reply #1
NWC does not currently support page orientation or page size through its direct page properties. The paper size and orientation is based on the printer settings, so they have to be configured for a file before printing (as you pointed out). You could also change the defaults for the printer, but this would implement this change for all future NWC prints to that printer.

Reply #2
I've been trying to get into the habit of putting my printer settings (e.g. PostScript drv, A4, Portrait) into the info fields so I remember what the heck I did when I have to go back and re-print after an edit, or what-have-you.

I agree that it would be handy to have these setting remembered internally, but fear what might happen on other users' systems if they don't have that particular driver set available...

Reply #3
>>>You could also change the defaults for the printer . . .

If I understand you, this would solve the orientation problem but not the need to reset the printer each time I edit the file. If this is wrong please let me know.

It would be nice if NWC itself could have a default printer assignment that differed from the system default.

In the meantime, I note that you say "NWC does not currently support" what I'm asking for. I'm off to the wish list.

Thanks.