Skip to main content
Topic: Limitation with Noteworthy and entering four part hymn music (Read 2808 times) previous topic - next topic

Limitation with Noteworthy and entering four part hymn music

I am entering the music for my wife who is the musician (please excuse my terminology if not correct), copying it from four parts hymn music and I have found several minor things which I cannot do in Noteworthy. Also, searching the archive did not find anything to help me and so I am posting this question.

On the treble cleft I enter a chord with the stem up for the soprano's note and the stem down for the alto's note (if it is the same note for both, I enter the note twice, once with stem up and once with stem down).

So far I have been able to use Noteworthy to enter most notes but the minor problems I have encountered are:

1. cannot beam 8th notes with stems up and stems down in the same chord - Noteworthy only allows a choice of beaming one or the other.

2. cannot be a slur for the top note with stem up and also the bottom note with stem down (presume this limit also applies to ties).

Does anyone know if there is a workaround in Noteworthy to allow me to do the above?

If not, does anyone know if Noteworthy could be modified to allow what I want?

Thanks

Paul McIlfatrick

Re: Limitation with Noteworthy and entering four part hymn music

Reply #1
When working with multiple voices, the most correct way to do it in NWC is with layering. This allows each voice to be individually notated. You can start a new piece using the SATB template to get you started.

Reply #2
Paul: I do four-part choral (SATB) music all the time. As Noteworthy suggested, try using layers so that you can work on the SA independently before merging them to one staff. Same with TB.

Actually, with experience, it is possible to solve most of the problems you described without layering. But some require layers.

One point: There is a difference between the "slur" and the "tie." You can only tie notes together if they are the same pitch. But notes can be connected with a slur whether they are the same or different pitch. The placement and appearance of slur and tie may be different.

With experience, you can export WMFs to a compatible drawing program, and make visual edits. An example of this, notated with NWC and post-edited with Open Office (word processing) software, is here:

!http:/www.icogitate.com/~ra849annex/misc/sevenlastwords.htm

Remember, some of what you see in the PDF file has been graphically altered from the NWC printout. So don't go asking, "How do I do that?"

Reply #4
Wow, I wish NoteWorthy's slurs would be able to do that - without using an additional program. NoteWorthy's slurs are always straight across the page, even on notes 2 8ves apart.

Reply #5
I think that request has been made to the wish list several times - to be able to indicate slur start and stop points. (Like maybe clicking on each note head like the arc drawing tool in MS Word...) That is the only thing I'm still frustrated about with NWC. I recently scored a four-part piece layered and the slurs in the two layered staves caused all sorts of problems with the layout. It worked, but it ain't pretty.

Paul, I just finished a piece that sounds similar to the one you're working on. I didn't know what "layering" was even though I had read all about it on this forum and I suffered through some headaches (trying to finagle the program without knowing it already had layering built in)before I finally gave it a whirl.

If you can't figure it out, let me know. I can send you the file so you can see how layering works.