Skip to main content
Topic: Please help - Can't play any sound (Read 3757 times) previous topic - next topic

Please help - Can't play any sound

Please see my yeswerday post - Help - No sound in my program!

When I open sample from NoteWorthy Composer, it can play sound. However, when I play my own transcribed solo work, it coudn't no matter what instrument pitch i insert.  What's wrong? I need your help.

Re: Please help - Can't play any sound

Reply #1
When you entered your music on the score, did you do it by the qwerty keyboard or a midi keyboard?  If the latter, did any notes show on the screen?  If not, check the NWC help menu (F1 in the program) for how to record from a midi keyboard.

Assuming you have music showing on screen, check to make sure you haven't muted the staff.

Next, check your sound settings - Soundblaster threw mine out of whack when I installed it.

Go to Control Panel (from settings in the start menu for Windows), click the multimedia icon, and see what you have.  In my case, with Win98, I have SB!Live Wave Device on the Audio tab.

Go back into Noteworthy, select Tools, Options and the Midi tab.  There has to be something in the right hand window.  I have Microsoft GS Wavetable and SB!Live MidiUart and NWC plays back fine.

If this doesn't work for you, ask the same question again but give the following information:
-What operating system do you use?
-What are your control panel multimedia settings?
-What settings are in your Noteworthy Tools Options Midi tab?

Someone with the same system that you have will probably be able to help you.

Reply #2
Thanks david palmquist,

I've re-install the Driver & application of my sound card. It work again.  I think the problem is I load the saxophone sound font I download from internet. I insert this alto/soprano pitch in Noteworthy Composer. Then, no sound comes out.

I think the program still doesn't use that sound font I have download. is it?

Reply #3
I don't know, sorry.

On my machine I installed some soundfonts I copied from the Hammer___?___ site, and they seem to play back with NWC.  I think NWC just uses the soundfont installed on your system, but I really am only guessing.

Reply #4
I have a similar problem. I checked under multimedia in the control panel and it said my midi playback was A: SBLive! Midi Synth. When I went to options/midi under Noteworthy, I selected A: SBlive! Midi Synth for playback, but I get this message: The Following play devices failed to open properly: A: SBLive! Midi Synth. The problem must be corrected before proceding. Can anyone help? Thanks

Reply #5
This means that the driver would not allow NWC to open the device. Sometimes, this is because the device is in use by some other software, or you have selected it twice in NWC (which is done by simultaneously selecting the MIDI Mapper). Other times, it is because either you do not really have SB Live hardware, or the hardware is failing. In more detail:

• If the SB Live is listed in the MIDI Mapper, and you have selected both the MIDI Mapper and the SB Live for use in NWC play back, then this is the cause of your problem. Don't do this.

• If some other program is using the A:SB Live, then close the other program, or use some other device in NWC.

• If you have a hardware or software driver problem, reinstall your SB Live drivers.

Reply #6
I don't have that hardware, but on my XP machine I have observed that some older sound-related software (freeware originally written for Windows 95) fails to release the MIDI driver when the program is closed. Any subsequent application (including re-opening the problem program) produces either a long delay, or an error message. It is possible to work around the problem by identifying and terminating the unreleased process (caution: for experts only).

Don't know if that helps or not.

Reply #7
I had this problem when switching back and forth between NoteWorthy and Netscape while searching for music online.  I found a site that had a piece in both wav and NoteWorthy format and played it on Windows Media Player, then downloaded the NWC file and there was no sound when attepting to play it with NoteWorthy.  After reading this set of responses I checked the Midi tab in Multimedia window (in Control Panel) and found that something had set the volume level for midi to zero.  Changed that and it started working again.