Skip to main content
Topic: Playback (Read 3366 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback

There is a vast array of instruments available for playback but they all sound like 'comb and paper' mouth organs.

Is it NWC?

Is it my sound card?

Or is there something I ought to know about?

Leonard

PS thank you Andrew for your help

Re: Playback

Reply #1
I had to laugh. My sentiments exactly! I have an old sound blaster pro. I know I shouldn't have to buy a $200 sound card, because all of the slick games out there put out really slick sound on my card, and I'm thinking "why can't I get that here where I really need it?" There must be a way. It has to be a better driver, because the games all come with proprietary drivers, and they sound great.

Reply #2
If you have any sound card that is SoundBlaster Compatible then I suggest you get WinGroove, a Wave Table Emulator.

WinGroove was written by a Japonese Musician and it is just Unbelievable. Simply select wingroove as the midi driver. you must try it. Here is the link

http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~hiroki/english/

Works on Win3.1 or Win95.

Reply #3
I've tried Wingroove and it really is good, and inexpensive, but you need a swift machine for best results. My poor old 486-33 dragged it's feet -(evaluated as 15% of a computer by Wingroove - gasp!).

Reply #4
Well I tried wingroove as suggested. The good news: 1) It sounds great 2) It plays all the notes (the creative labs s/w gives up with complicated passages) The bad news:

1) The start-up module fails to load - it claims there's not enough memory with 16Mb and by definition at start up, nothing else running 2) Finale only plays through it 50% of time time, probably due to the memory problem discussed above 3) I often had it crash my PC

So I'd give it a rating of 5/10. Pity really because when it works it does sound so much better.

-Nigel

Reply #5
I have a lot of diefferent midi sequencers on my computer, but i always play back on WinGroove. You must hear it to believe it....oh and definatly worth the reg fee.

Reply #6
Breathtaking. The drum sounds alone are worth the cost. My only complaint is, due to the fact that wingroove uses .wav files, my windows sound scheme quadrupled in volume. This is not pleasant to one's ears. But otherwise, it is a wonderful program. I will never use another MIDI file without it.