Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI OCR software - Does it exist? (Read 8697 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI OCR software - Does it exist?

This isn't a question directly about NoteWorthy Composer
but a favourable answer would sure make NoteWorthy more
productive.

I recently bought a scanner. What I imagine doing is
scanning in a page of music and running some software
to analyze the scanned image and create a MIDI file.
I could then use NWC to convert the MIDI file to NWC format.
Then I would use NWC to edit, clean up, play, print, etc.

OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software is readily
available to interpret text characters from a scanned image,
but does such a thing exist for music?

Re: MIDI OCR software - Does it exist?

Reply #1
Yes. See msg #485
for vigourous discussion about Midiscan.
I must admit I start to get nervous about scanning in soeone else's impression of the music, as this must certainly breach copyright, unless the publishing company's been dead for 70 years!!!

Andrew P

Reply #2
If you log onto www.sheetmusic1.com and poke around you will find such a package for about $60.00

Reply #3
italian linguage,please
cerco DRV. ocr for scanner x midi file or immage midi

Reply #4
Midiscan claims to have this capability, as do some other programs. However, everyone I've ever talked to who has tried these types of software claim that they have such a high rate of error, that you might as well just enter the music manually. That is, it takes forever to edit all the mistakes by the OCR software.

Reply #5
I own midiscan and it seems quite correct to me. Not fully satisfactory though (lyrics cause troubles, so you have to clear them before).
I also tried capella Scan (you can download a demo version at www.whc.de (diese URL ist in deutsch) or at www.softpart.co.uk (in english language). I was _really_ impressed by its quickness (and simplicity of checking : it draws what it recognizes onto the original image), but a bit disoriented with their interface to modify results. Output to midi should be enough though. But IT DOESN'T ! you have to use another tool... And the demo version do not let you do it. So bad...

Hope this helps.

P.S. Do not forget engraver/editor copyrights !!

Reply #6
please send me sum documentation obout ocr midi
if its possebel freeware

jefminne@freegates.be

Thanks in advace