Skip to main content
Topic: Export to version 1x (Read 3217 times) previous topic - next topic

Export to version 1x

Saving files under v 2.0 generates a warning that the file will not be accessible to previous versions of NWC, and this is in fact true.  Given the vast pool of pre-2.0 users, wouldn't it be valuable to give v 2.0 the ability to export to the earlier formats?  In the GUI this could be handled in the usual way, as an option under <save as>.  There could be a warning that features and elements not supported in earlier versions will be stripped out.

Re: Export to version 1x

Reply #1
I am with you on that one. For the user's own safety, the dialog box might prevent saving to NWC1 unless first saved to NWC2, or something like that. But I don't work for NWC.

Reply #2
As of NWC2 Beta 2.13, you can regress a file back to version 1.75 using the File, Export command.

Reply #3
The warning when trying to save a NWC 1.75 file in NWC2 still sounds the same. In fact, it still holds true, but it is now a much less dire warning:

"Warning for File: ThisSong.nwc

This song was last saved using an older NWC format. If you save this file now, the original version will no longer be able to open it. Proceed?"

As far as I am concerned, the whole warning may be omitted. Any opinions?

Reply #4
As far as I am concerned, the whole warning may be omitted. Any opinions?
A weak one. When I get a 1.75b in NWC2 it is usually because I've pulled it up in the Viewer, needed to change something, and hit the NWC2 button in error. The warning is a useful reminder of my carelessness.
Registered user since 1996